10 Common Phrases Of A Worship Team

10 Common Phrases Of A Worship Team

If you're on a worship team, I'm sure you can relate to at least a few of these.

389
10 Common Phrases Of A Worship Team
StockSnap

1. “Are we using a click track?”

If you have the ability to use a click track, the answer to this question should always be yes. A click track, although annoying at first to some musicians, makes a band sound so much tighter and together than if they were not using a click track.

2. “So let’s start the song by laying down a nice pad…”

Nothing is more “worship-y” than an ambient pad being played at the start of a song, underneath a prayer, at the end of the service…pad is used shamelessly in worship services.

3. “…and then we’ll end the song with a soft chorus.”

I feel like if any part of the song raises question during a rehearsal, it’s the end of the song. Do you end it big? Do you end with the bridge? Go back to the chorus? There are lots of options on how to end songs, but more often than not, worship leaders just go with the familiar soft chorus at the end. Although this tactic is commonly used, I think that’s because it tends to be extremely effective on creating an atmosphere of worship.

4. Team Member: “so how many bridges?”

Worship Leader: “I don’t know, however many the spirit leads me to sing.”

Worship songs are notorious for repeating the bridge…over and over and over. So when a worship team plays these songs in service, it’s hard to know how much is too much. It’s normally hard to tell until you get in an actual service with a congregation in front of you. By that time, you just have to let the spirit lead.

5. *to the drummer* “We’ll just follow you.”

Who is the most influential musician in the band? The worship leader? The acoustic guitar? Nope, it’s for sure the drummer. Dynamically the drummer has so much control. The energy and feel of a song is so dependent on the drummer.

6. “My in-ears aren’t working.”

Technology. I think most of us would say we have a love-hate relationship with it. When it works, its great! However, it’s the getting it to work part that sometimes leaves a worship team frustrated.

7. “Dude I like those black ripped jeans.”

Worship leaders have a style. Look at members in the top worship bands. Hillsong, Elevation Worship, Bethel Music, etc. If you look at the members of each of those bands and the way they dress, you’ll see themes. First, a lot of black. Second, hats. I’m not really sure why this is part of it, but so many people wear beanies or those other hats that no one knows the name of. Just look up “Joel Houston hat” and you’ll know what I’m talking about. Third, black ripped jeans. They go along with the black theme and the rips..well they just kinda make you feel trendy.

8. “I wonder if anyone in the congregation will notice if I wear the same outfit I wore a few weeks back?”

The struggle is real. Being on a stage every weekend, members of a worship band don’t want to repeat outfits too often out of fear that people will notice. On the other hand, money doesn’t grow on trees, and we can’t afford to keep buying new clothes to wear on stage each weekend…

9. “I just realized more than 50% of our set is Hillsong music”

Hillsong is a HUGE influencer in worship music. When making a set, a team will no doubt be playing a Hillsong song. Maybe even two. Or three…

10. “I love serving with you guys.”

We spend hours upon hours with each other, at rehearsal and on the weekends. Although it is extremely time consuming, we all do it for the same reason. We love serving the people of God. This common desire to serve the church brings a team together, and it makes all the time put in so worth it.