10 Books That Every Woman Should Have On Her Bookshelf

Trust me, these are worth the read.

53

Books are a major form of education, are they not? Prior to the suffrage movement, women read literature, books about science, books about reform, and this is how they expanded their minds. Women, without reading would quite possibly have never realized what they were missing out on- education and rights. Now, with younger generations shying away from picking up a good novel or reading up on a topic of interest, the world is left in a dire place. If you are a woman interested in reading more, than this is the perfect list for you.

1. Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

This book will have you laughing SO hard. Composed of a series of essays about a myriad of topics of a girl's life; every single woman out there can relate to Lena's weird anecdotes.

2. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

A thirty-something woman who's "perfect" life falls apart endures some soul-searching in three different countries: Italy, India, and Indonesia. In each country she learns about the culture and the people, and pretty soon starts discovering true joy, love, and contentment with her new self.

3. Bossypants by Tina Fey

Not only hilarious, but Tina's way with words is witty and wise. She talks about her dream to be a comedian, and how she achieved it. This book will leave you inspired and laughing out loud.

4. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

Roxane writes essays about the pitfalls of the feminist movement. She explains how it's hard to be a feminist in this day in age, and how we can improve the movement, and work towards changing the system.

5. Girl Boss by Sophia Amoruso

Sophia's book summarizes her adventure towards becoming the success story she is today, as the founder of Nasty Gal. She had a rough start and the journey was hard, but she encourages all women that with enough commitment and hard work, any dream is achievable.

6. How to Make Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

This is might seem back to the basics, but it never hurts to learn a little bit about how people want to be treated. He reminds you of little things that make a big difference in our relationships with others, such as remembering people's names. This book is a very helpful reminder of basic etiquette and manners.

7. Frida by Barbara Mujica

Mujica re-tells the stories of the original girl boss, Frida Kahlo. It's incredible and inspiring and will make you want to learn more about Frida and her work within the feminist and chicana movement.

8. The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf

This book dispels all the myths of beauty- uncovering how much things are edited in the media, and how we as women do not need to measure up to any sort of societal standard. Life-changing, and mind-blowing in the best way.

9. Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist

A series of essays about the most beautiful moments in Shauna's life. Very heartfelt and intimate; by the end you feel as if Shauna is one of your good friends. Her stories fill you up with joy and an appreciation for similar moments in your own life.

10. Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist

A series of essays about the most heartbreaking moments in Shauna's life, and how they have blossomed into beauty over time. She writes about her experiences with heartbreak and healing, and how God and time can ultimately heal our hearts from life's most scaring moments.