10 Books That Have Changed My View of the World

Reading has rid me of my prejudices.

27
Emlii

As a young girl my favorite pastime was reading. The new worlds that I was transported to filled me with excitement. But the best thing that reading did for me was give me a different perspective and understanding of cultures. In a world that seems full of so much hate, the best way to get rid of stereotypes is to fully understand the differences within people. So here are 10 books that shed me of my prejudices and not only helped me understand, but appreciate cultures besides mine.

1. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

After reading this book I understood that Geisha life is more than just a painted face, but a lifestyle and an art. I truly enjoyed this beautiful story and I recommend it to anyone.

2. The Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

This book is crafted in a way that you learn about Dominican history and enjoy the fictional tales of Oscar Wao and his family. Full of humor and sadness it changed my whole outlook on what it means to be Dominican not only in the DR but here in America

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

A novel narrated by death tells the story of a young woman in Hitler’s Germany who wishes to read. When I first read this book in middle school I didn’t understand the complexities of it until my second read, which has led it to become one of my favorite books.

4. Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

This heartbreaking story tells the difficulties of friendship between a Pashtun boy and his father’s servant son, a Hazara. While I knew nothing much about these two ethnic groups, the book makes it very clear that Hazara people are treated horribly compared to Pashtun people. I learned so much about Afghanistan culture from this book that I suggest everyone read it. Not just for the historical facts but because it truly is an amazing story.

5. Drink by Ann Dowsett Johnston

The use of research and Ann Dowsett Jonhston’s personal story with struggling with alcohol abuse has taught me a side of reality that I don’t often think about. This book has helped me better understand an individual's addiction to alcohol, especially among women, and has helped me understand that it is more than just a bad habit, it is a disease.

6. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

While I don’t need much help to understand what it’s like growing up black in America, this book did help me better understand what it’s like to come to America and experience culture shock as well as growing up African in America. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie does a great job in telling the story of two Nigerian lovers who have experienced life outside of Nigeria.

7. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs

This book tells the story of Harriet Jacobs, a woman who was born into slavery. While I grew up aware of what happened to slaves, since my mother was insistent on telling us of our history, Jacobs’ writes her life as a slave and her desire to escape. For anyone who needs to understand the hardships women in slavery went through this book is truly perfect for it. It’s an easy read and beautifully written. Though heartbreaking, it was a privilege to know Jacobs’ story.

8.Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi

This graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi gives her accounts of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. This story allowed me to understand what it is like for a young girl to grow up in a world surrounded by war and still keep a sense of humor.

9. The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle

This tragedy filled book tells the story of two different couples, one is two illegal immigrants from Mexico who are determined to make a life in California, and the other two Americans who live in a gated community. The couples keep having interactions with one another and encounter problems, although their problems are much different from one another’s. This book helped me understand the life of immigrants and their desire to find a better life in America.

10. Sold by Patricia McCormick

This book is about a 13-year-old girl who lives in Nepal and is sold as a sex slave in order for her family to survive. This book helped me understand the reality of living in a country full of poverty, but also helped me understand the life of girls who are sold as sex slaves.

Though this list of books is small, I have learned a lot from each one of them. I am truly grateful for having the ability to read but also having the willingness to understand the world around me. I hope this list finds you and helps rid you of your prejudices as it has rid me of mine.