10 Book To Movie Mistakes That Readers Won't Ever Forgive

I know that no movie could live up to a fan's imagination when reading their favorite book, but is it too much to ask for a movie that maybe resembles the book it's named after?

874
Angela DeannaJay

Just to preface, I'm not trying to bash these movies. In fact, I'm quite a fan of some of these adaptations as independent pieces of entertainment. I also really enjoy the novels that these films are based on. My point is only to state the flaws that these films presented by changing/making choices that didn't reflect the original source material. However, while most of the information is critic and audience based, my own opinion is still present so take that as you will.

1. "Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief ‘s" Casting Choices

Most reader’s of Rick Riordan’s treasured stories agree that the film didn’t just hit the bar but totally flopped. The main reason for such worldwide disdain falls on the casting for our beloved characters. Despite many little changes and rushed moments, what took us by surprise was the fact that they chose Logan Lerman to play hero Percy Jackson. This meaning they aged all the main characters from 12-year-old kids (book) to 16-year-old teenagers. This also changed the prophecy, as in the novels, it stated that it would come true when the half-blood is 16. However, in the film, the prophecy is altered to happen when the chosen one is 20. This change may seem minimal but it had numerous consequences. For instance, it was a drastic change from what readers imagined the tale to look like and it removed the possibility of children growing old with characters (like that of "Harry Potter" films). This choice also changed the story aspect itself as a 12-year-old having to grow up quickly to face destiny is a different dynamic than an already young adult having to face them. Fans were so disgruntled with this that they started nit-picking the look of the cast, mostly that daughter of Athena, Annabeth Chase who was supposed to be blonde and not brunette. To make up for their disloyalty to the books, filmmakers made Annabeth blonde in the sequel. However, the too sudden change combined with the aging mistakes didn’t do much to satisfy fans.

2. Lemony Snicket’s "A Series of Unfortunate Events" Compression of Three Books into One Mess

Despite the series gaining great popularity and basically being on a kid’s must read list, the movie wasn’t something to brag about. The main issue with the movie was the choice to combine "The Bad Beginning", "The Reptile Room," and "The Wide Window" into one movie. It’s hard enough for movies to slice down the important bits into an accurate and fun film, but with three books to work from, it would be impossible. Not only did the movie warp the events (having the kids move from events that happened in book one, to book two, to book three, and then to the conclusion of book one) but it included scenes that weren’t present in the novels. The inclusion of the train track scene and the ending scene confused readers and the continuity of events made the tone comedic instead of somber. Despite great casting of Count Olaf, the movie didn’t have fans raving but cringing. Here’s to hoping that Netflix’s new original series based on those same novels entitled "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (2017) will get the job done. (Personal opinion: The Netflix series is so good, book fans like me will enjoy. 100% Recommend)

3. "My Sister’s Keeper’s" Warped Ending

"My Sister's Keeper's" successful acclaim is uncertain as it did well at the box office but it did receive mixed reviews, mostly like due to the heavy change that not even Jodi Picoult (the author of the original novel) liked. In fact, Jodi advised against the alternate ending but the filmmakers went ahead anyway. Major Spoilers: In the novel, Anna wins the suit but on the way home, she gets into a car accident. When she reaches the hospital, she’s announced brain dead and her kidneys are given to Kate, who then goes into remission. However, in the film, Anna wins the case after Kate’s death. The family moves on with Anna remembering her sister. While some liked the change, the ending combined with elements left out of the film really frustrated fans of the original novel and its message.

4. The "Harry Potter" series’ s Missing Moments

Despite being dubbed one of the greats books and subsequently book-to movie adaptions of all time, "Harry Potter" wasn’t perfect and had its fair shares of annoyances. I could write a whole list alone on "Harry Potter" and its changes but instead, I’ll keep it brief. There were tiny instances like Hermione’s famous Yuleball dress being pink instead of blue, Dumbledore yelling at Harry over the Goblet when he’s supposed to be calm and Harry and Lilly’s eyes being different colors that irked super fans all over but didn't do much damage. Then there were pieces missing from the movies that make Potterheads that only watch the movies oblivious. For instance, they had a lot of missing characters (Charlie Weasley, Peeves, Teddy Lupin house-elf Winky etc.), never introduced backstory (Tom Riddle’s history, fate of Neville’s parents, prophecy, the fact that Neville could have been the chosen one and knowledge of the marauders), and absent character development (Ginny/Ron) that really made the books worthwhile. There were also some downright changes (like Harry breaking the elder wand instead of using it to fix him and then returning it to Dumbledore’s grave like he did in the books) and missing scenes (Fate of Fred/Peter Pettigrew and Dudley’s goodbye) that could have made the movies even more legendary.

5. "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" Rush to Change

Many picked on the movie for turning this fantasy adventure into a romantic mess with too many pop culture references for a film set in a secret world away from humanity. But the biggest misstep in production, besides producing this at all, was the choice to hurry up the plot. In a desperate attempt to make the story interesting, the filmmakers used many plot arcs that weren’t set to happen until later. For instance, just to name a few, Simon becoming a vampire, Clary creating runes, and the fearless rune didn’t appear until the second book, "City of Ashes". Instead of rushing ahead, the plot should have focused on the loose ends the film provided the explanation of “parabatais”, Luke’s past with Valentine, and the correct use of portals. Along with "the Mortal Instrument’s" haste, they also rushed to change core details of the novels. For instance, while the Cup is successfully stolen in the book, the film uses this drawing ploy to show that Valentine has failed. Maybe they were trying to tighten up loose ends because they knew they weren’t getting a sequel but there’s still no excuse. Another change that drove readers wild was the fact that instead of Valentine removing Hodge’s curse (like in the novels), Valentine insisted that Hodge’s “curse” was all inside his head and it didn’t truly bind him to the institute. All of these changes and plot eliminations made the movies not only unwatchable but canceled the planned sequels for good. However, the Mortal Instruments is being adapted into a show, "Shadowhunters" that will appear on Freeform and go deeper into the world of the Nephilim. (My opinion, in case you want it, the Mortal Instruments is my favorite series and I love "Shadowhunters" so give it a shot!)

6. "The Hunger Games" MIA Characters

"The Hunger Games" may have started off good, but it wasn’t amazing and the rest of the series spiraled into confusion and angry for readers of Suzanne Collin’s dark dystopian novels. However, the major issue that fans have is that either their beloved characters don’t act like themselves or they don’t appear at all. I, like most people, understand when making a movie means cutting out characters that aren’t really necessary. However, filmmakers of the Hunger Games love to cut characters that mean more for the plot, because hey that isn't following it anyway so who needs them? Characters that didn’t appear but should have includes Bonnie and Twil, Peeta’s best friend Delly Cartwright, Madge, Fulvia, and not to mention Peeta and Gale’s whole family. However, that isn’t the only aspect of the movies that missed the mark. The characters that did appear seemed distant from their original (novel) personality and abilities. For instance, just to name a few, Peeta’s loss over his leg is a major portion of the book that was simply eliminated from the film. Katniss’s desire for the uprising not only didn’t appear but it was the opposite, she seemed almost reluctant to do it. She also doesn’t become deaf in one ear and lose her spleen, making her suffering and struggle less apparent. Additionally, both Peeta and Katniss can’t swim because District 12 has no water. Therefore Peeta’s struggle and Katniss’s memory of her dad teaching her were big plots ignored by the film as they swam fine. The only change that was celebrated was the fact that the story was no longer told in Katniss’s point of view so we saw background in the Capitol and how the Games are run. But even that meant that secrets were told to the audience before their time and there was added confusion in the film, so oops?

7. "The Divergent" series's Everything

I really don’t know where to start with this one other than to say that the book series was fun, exhilarating and full of adventure. How did filmmakers honor that? By basically changing everything that makes Divergent good, besides the characters (and that might not even be the case). It would take years for me to try to list all of the changes made to the trilogy but if you want to check it out. Here are links to differences between the books and their movie counterparts, "Divergent", "Insurgent", and "Allegiant". If the drastic changes aren't enough to worry about, let me remind you that the second part of "Allegiant" (entitled Ascendant) was set to release in 2017. However, the movie did so bad that filmmakers thought they would save money by making it a TV movie with potential for a spin-off TV series. Not a fan of that idea? Well, don’t worry cause neither is Shailene Woodley. When lead actor Woodley, or "Tris", signed off on the role (stating “she didn’t sign up for a TV show”) the production was canceled and the rights to "Allegiant" expired. Better luck next time, I guess?

8. "The Maze Runner's" Cinematic Style Runs Over Plot

The changes in "The Maze Runner" that annoy readers are beyond just the way W.I.C.K.E.D. (WCKD) is spelled. For instance, the real struggle in the movie is they way it compensated plot for cinematography. For instance, Teresa and Thomas’s telepathic connection is a big portion of the books but it was cut out of the movies (most likely because audiences don’t enjoy narration). The maze, in the books, also should have four entrances, be always sunny, and have ground made up of stone. This provides mystery as to who put them there, as the maze must have been man made. However, in the film, the maze has one entrance, the weather varies, and the ground is grass (suggesting that they are outside). The Cliff (that is used to kill a Griever) isn’t present in the film and the slammer is replaced with a pit. There were also changes that seem to make the movie more “dramatic” but served no other purpose. For instance, the creators being already dead when they escaped, Thomas killing a Griever via moving wall, and Alby being the original Glader (instead of the book’s ordinal thirty Gladers) are all events that didn’t occur in the novels but did in the film seemingly for theatrics.

9. "Vampire Academy's" Sucky Attempt at Humor

While Vampire Academy was a widely successful series that created a unique look on vampires and focused on woman power, the movie came out after the “triumph” of "Twilight" so it didn’t have a good start. In addition, filmmakers cast Zoey Deutch as Rose, making a character who was meant to be biracial with tan skin, Caucasian. This definitely turned off and enraged fans of the books. However, the main issue of this movie was its attempt to turn Richelle Mead’s heartbreaking tale of adventure into a comedy. By watering down Lissa’s self-harm and the history of this world, the movie was basically a joke. The pop culture references and forced funny one-liners did not help. Additionally, they took a page from "the Mortal Instrument’s" book and included scenes that weren’t set to happen until later books or not at all. For instance, the army of Strigoi should have appeared in the third book, "Shadow Kiss" instead of the end of the first (and only, thank god) film.

10. "Beautiful Creature's" Drastic "Twists"

Something that made "the Caster Chronicles" amazing was the great curse: that when 16, Lena would have to choose to become a Light or Dark caster. However, if she chooses light, then all of the dark casters in her family will die and vice versa if she chooses dark. However, the film changes the curse by creating a “cure” that someone that Lena loves must die. In the film, Macon makes the sacrifice to lift the curse but in the book, Macon dies as a result of Lena resurrecting Ethan (a life for a life). Another huge change was the fact that in the movie, Lena puts a spell on Ethan so that he forgets her. Ethan then remembers her in the end and frees her from the dark side by calling her name. However, the novel ends with Macon’s funeral and Lena not choosing a side (Ethan doesn't forget at all). While most of the roots of these two works are intact, they differ in areas for no reason but to add unnecessary tension. Another thing to consider is the novel removes many minor characters, eliminates intro into the supernatural (Incubus/Casters), and removes Lena and Ethan’s telepathic connection.