10 Blessings That 20 Single Valentine's Days In A Row Hold

To all you single ladies...
573

Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. However, and probably very much counter-intuitively, I have not yet had a "valentine." Nope, every year when February 14th rolls around I find myself buying chocolate for myself (or more accurately: forcing my parents to buy it for me).

However, this has not been as bad of a thing as my 16-year-old self assumed that it was. In fact, being single for two decades of valentines day has taught me some very valuable lessons (though it does sound a bit pathetic when I phrase it like that...)

1. I don't need to worry about buying a gift

Nope, no need for any frenzied amazon prime shipping or mall marathons trying to pick out the perfect gift to display my undying love for my Valentine. I get to save my bank account just one more blow.

2. No need to pretend to like a gift

One of my least favorite feelings in the world is having to fake-like a gift I was given. However, being a #singlelady on valentine's day does save me the stress of the potential fake-excitement at opening up an ugly, but well-intentioned necklace

3. I can get myself whatever type of chocolate that I want

While I haven't met a piece of chocolate that I don't like, there are definitely some that I have a preference for. Since I am buying myself the chocolate, I can pick out whatever type I want

4. Can still convince my parents to buy me a gift

Whether it is out of love or out of pity, I can still manage to get my parents to send me a little something for valentine's day

5. No need to post on Instagram

Instagram posts are always a source of stress for me. Call it "social media anxiety", but I do not enjoy the process of picking out a photo, caption, and waiting for the influx of likes and comments that may or may not come. Thankfully, when you are single, February 14th does not become synonymous with a heartfelt caption and cute photo gracing my feed. And for those like me, that is definitely a good thing

6. Don't need to look nice

There is no fancy dinner or extravagant outing, so I get to be makeup-less and sit in sweatpants the entire day. No one to impress certainly has its perks!

7. Time to do my homework

While this is likely the most unexciting reason in the world, school can be stressful, man! Thankfully, being single means that February 14th was just any old Wednesday, meaning that I did not have to stress about having any time to do my homework between my chariot ride to my fancy dinner and romantic evening with roses lining my bed (can you tell the only valentine's day I've experienced is through movies......).

8. An excuse to eat...A LOT

While I am not a person who gets upset about being single, you likely have no feelings if valentine's day doesn't make you even a little bit lonely...however, if you are as much of a single-on-valentine's-day veteran like myself, you can utilize this as a perfect excuse to shove your face with food as a way of eating away the misery...trust me, it almost works.

9. GALentines Day

Another cheesy reason, but valentine's day single means that you get the time to spend with your friends. Whether it be bawling into popcorn watching the Notebook, or gossiping and doing facemasks, a galentine's day celebration is an amazing way to spend a February 14th.

10. You get to show appreciation to the love of everyone else around you

Being single means that you are not blinded by strictly romantic love on this day. And by no means do I think that everyone in a relationship is...however, being single means that your only focus is showing your family and friends how much you love them on this day. And that is something that we should all do more often.

Ultimately, there are far more perks to a single valentine's day than one may initially assume. While I'm not saying I would be opposed to ending my single streak with lucky number 21 next year, I do believe that there are a few things about a single valentine's day that I will miss when it (eventually, hopefully, everyone please keep your fingers crossed) goes away.