10 Painfully Awkward And Unavoidable Aspects Of Freshman Year

Regrettable realities of college life they won't tell you in orientation.

390
The Duke's Playground

Everyone's freshman year of high school is flooded with awkward, uncomfortable situations; from braces and puberty to terrible first kisses, being a freshman is honestly the worst.

However, we regret to recognize the incredibly strange time that freshman year as a college student is. We, as freshmen, are thrown into this bizarre circus show that is college and are provided with more freedom than we've ever before received - and probably more than we can properly handle. From my experiences thus far, college has been a whirlwind of stress, confusion, and bad decisions.

Regardless of how hard you try, freshman year is destined to be a season of regrets and a whole lot of L's. Let's take a look at a few of the little freshman pieces wisdom that I've already discovered - both the easy way AND the hard way.

1. Everyone knows you're a freshman, so you should just stop trying to cover it up now.

You wear one of those lanyards for easy access to your dorm room swipe card. Your backpack hangs way too low. You actually look decent in class. You always always always go harder than you should. Come on, the signs are obvious.

2. Sharing a shoebox-sized room with another person.

By the end of the year, you and your roommate will either be best friends forever, or never want to speak again - there is no in between. You know too much about each other. For instance, my roommate accidentally called my boyfriend "babe" the other day...should I be concerned?

3. Literally ALWAYS being sick.

Ah, yet another fun thing about dorm life. College kids are gross and spread germs way too easily. Do everyone a favor and wash your hands. Last week, I had strep. The week prior, I had the flu. What will next week's sickness be? Stay tuned to find out.

4. Making new friends.

Without the comfort of your high school social bubble, reaching out to new people can be super uncomfortable. Making small talk with Jessica from Biology feels way worse than just accepting your new status as a lone wolf. Who needs friends, anyway?

5. Getting absolutely plastered and giving everyone else second-hand embarrassment.

"Remember that one girl on the stripper pole at Yianni's Friday night who threw up everywhere? She looked so cool and respectable! I wish I was her!" - said no one ever.

6. Figuring out that boys are actually the worst.

No, Chad from Kappa Apple Pie Epsilon is not walking you to your dorm just "to make sure you get there safely." He is a freshman pledge, and therefore probably a pig. But your innocent freshman self is not yet aware of the demonic beings that are frat boys, so you'll probably hook up with him anyways.

7. Getting stuck in the elevator with Chad from Kappa Apple Pie Epsilon.

Yikes. Just yikes. Evacuate the premises. Press the emergency button if you have to.

8. Fighting against the "Freshman 15."

Sometimes, I take the long way to class just to reach my daily 10,000 steps. Bored eating is such a struggle. Maybe consider stocking up on carrots instead of cheez-its? Eat green things! Stick to vodka waters! I don't know. It's honestly a hopeless cause.

9. Realizing frat houses are very, very gross.

The floors are flooded with "sludge." Your white converse have no chance of survival. The pledges bartending reuse red solo cups about a million different times - yet another reason I'm constantly sick. Most furniture is either falling apart or broken somewhere, and don't even get me started on the boys' rooms. Disastrous.

10. Attempting to balance your mental health, physical health, social life, involvement, and schoolwork simultaneously.

Ha. Goodluck. Welcome to freshman year.