10 Amazing Places To Visit In The Upper Peninsula Of Michigan

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is one of the world's most beautiful places.

55653
Michigan.org

Northern Michigan, specifically the Upper Peninsula, has very interesting, beautiful things to explore. If you ever find yourself looking to vacation somewhere where you can do many things just by visiting one area, the Upper Peninsula is perfect! It has a wide range of tourist attracts where families, couples, or even for just a person looking to explore, can enjoy themselves. Here are just some of the many things to do in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

1. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

If you ever get the chance to visit anything in the Upper Peninsula, the number one thing to visit is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Taking the boat tour, especially the sunset boat tour gives you the best, up-close look at the beauty the rocks form. Pictured Rocks are located in Munising.

2. Whitefish Point

At Whitefish Point in Paradise, you can do many things. Whitefish Point holds the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, and it located on one of the most beautiful beaches in the upper peninsula where you can watch large ships go by all day.

3. Tahquamenon Falls

Tahquamenon Falls which flows over 50,000 gallons of water combined in the upper and lower falls. When walking on the paved pathways and climbing the stairs to see different angles of the falls, you will see different wildlife as well as some of the most beautiful waterfalls in Michigan.

4. Kitch-iti-kipi (The Big Spring)

Kitch-iti-kipi is a bring spring that is 200-feet across and 40-feet deep. Kitch-iti-kipi has been nicknamed the "Mirror of Heaven". You can explore Kitch-iti-kipi by a self-operated observation raft.

5. Castle Rock

If you are up for a little bit of an adventure, Castle Rock is perfect for you! It is a geological limestone stack that tourists can hike up. The rock rises about 200 feet above the surrounding ground. The end of the hike involves going out to the end of the rock and having a scenic view of about 20 miles out.

6. Mackinac Island

Mackinac Island is approximately a 9.7-mile ferry boat ride away from Mackinaw City. Mackinac Island has many fun, tourist attractions for all ages! While on the island, you can visit Mackinac Island State Park, Arch Rock, Fort Mackinac, and the Wings of Mackinac Butterfly Conservatory. You can also take a horse drawn carriage or bike tour to explore all the island has to offer since no cars are allowed on the island. Mackinac Island also houses the Grand Hotel which is said to be the most gorgeous and historic hotel in Michigan.

7. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse

If you love history or boating, you'll enjoy visiting Eagle Harbor Lighthouse located on the Keweenaw Peninsula in Eagle Harbor. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse is a working lighthouse that sits on the rocky enterance to the harbor. This lighthouse was originally built in 1851, and has since been redone for safety and more efficient working. There is a historical museum inside the lighthouse for tourists to check out.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2F17%2F636229017930296388-690911430_6362290030666782891831015980_eagle%2520too.jpg&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=196&h=b093e486e8e956490b20b94c480e218b83fc4bdcb02a5351d21fa84dbed43dbd&size=980x&c=1645383677 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F02%252F17%252F636229017930296388-690911430_6362290030666782891831015980_eagle%252520too.jpg%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D196%26h%3Db093e486e8e956490b20b94c480e218b83fc4bdcb02a5351d21fa84dbed43dbd%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1645383677%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]

8. Presque Isle Park

Presque Isle Park is located in Marquette and is said to be the most visited place in Marquette for a reason. The reason being is that this park can entertain all ages and interests! You can bike, hike, cliff dive, lodge, and have the best view for the wonderful Upper Peninsula sunsets. This 323-acre forest extends onto the water and offers the best views of northern Michigan.

9. Glass Bottom Shipwreck Tours

Located on the Munising Bay, you can take a 2-hour glass-bottom boat tour to discover two different shipwreck sites. Just feet below the boat are home to ships who remains still reside within Lake Superior. If you get bored of the glass-bottom tour, which is nearly impossible, you can travel up to the top of the boat to see sights along the bay such as the East Channel Lighthouse.

10. Sugarloaf Mountains

Sugarloaf mountain is a Registered Natural Landmark because of its geological interest and beautiful sites. The mountains have an elevation of 1,282 ft. Researchers estimate that the mountains were formed 14 million years ago. There are more than 500 species of plants. If you're interested in taking a hike or to go sightseeing, Sugarloaf Mountains is where you need to be.