7 Things Guys Don't Understand About Sorority Recruitment

For all my fellow confused fraternity men.

543

If you are like me, then Sorority Recruitment is something you can't quite grasp or understand.

Sorority recruitment has always confused me and many of my brothers. We are used to recruitment consisting of eating food, playing volleyball, giving countless tours of the fraternity house and eventually biding guys you think will contribute well and fit in with your house. Sorority recruitment is another monster entirely. 

I have many friends in sororities, I have members of different sororities in my Greek Family and I have yet to fully grasp the concept of bid day and recruitment. Here are seven things I don't understand about Sorority Recruitment.

1. Recruitment Practice. As a college student in my twenties, I can't understand why sororities have to practice recruiting. I understand that formal recruitment is a whole different ballpark, but isn't recruitment just having a conversation with someone? Yes, I have had my fair share of awkward conversations with potentials, but the fact that girls practice talking to each other will never make sense to me. 

2. Singing and chanting. I have attended several mock recruitment events where different sororities come and practice the songs they sing to their new members and they also practice talking (see above bullet point). If we are struggling to have a conversation with someone, then how is awkwardly singing a rendition of big butts, carefully crafted to be clean and include funny things about your sorority, going to make things any better? 

3. Yelling. I have always secretly thought that once girls get into a sorority, they all take a class on being as loud as possible. Or maybe it's a trait you develop after joining, but I have always been amazed at how loud a group of one hundred girls can get. You can hear their screams across campus as they are reunited with their Bigs and Littles on bid day. 

4. Bid Day. I don't know how other houses do their bidding, but my house has a simple procedure involving as few people as possible. Sororities on the other hand are the complete opposite. They all gather and march to the green at the same time, singing their songs and chanting their chants in one giant, balloon-filled mob. If you have never witnessed bid day, I highly recommend attending at least one and just watching in awe. Bid Day taught me one thing: girls know how to tackle...hard. 

5. The Multiple Rules. Like I said before, I have a lot of friends in sororities. One of my best friends is in a sorority and each year, I still forget about all the ridiculous rules they have to follow. They can't come to our houses even if no freshman girls present, no alcohol and it's two in the afternoon. No part of me will ever understand these rules they must abide by. But then, I remember girls are ruthless and will purposefully try to get each other in trouble. 

6. All the Shirts. During the weeks leading up to recruitment, you know what sorority each and every girl that walks across campus is in. Everywhere you turn, you see a shirt, hat or bag with letters on them. Where do they get all of these? I love my fraternity and I often am wearing letters in some way, but the amount of shirts girls have is ridiculous. I think if every sorority girl on my campus got together and donated shirts, they could fill a local Goodwill easily. 

7. Disaffiliating. Once recruitment is in full swing, I always notice my social media getting less and less crowded until it's completely overtaken by fraternity brothers and other funny accounts. That's when you know recruitment is in full swing; when every girl you know or hang out with goes completely incognito. The letters go away and there is no more tweeting or status updates because they all shut down their facebooks. Why you ask? I'm still trying to figure that one out too. 

There you have it. Seven things I and many other fraternity men will never understand about sorority recruitment.