Ace Your Zoom Interview With These Quarantastic Tips

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many institutions have been forced to go online, including universities, businesses, and even healthcare offices. However, many of us may still have interviews for various jobs, internships, and many other things. I recently had an interview via Zoom and it was very different compared to in-person interviews. Here's some advice to help you ace your Zoom interview.

Dress professionally

If you have an interview via Zoom, you should dress professionally (at least on the top). You should dress the same way that you would dress for an in-person interview This will also help get you in the interview mindset. You should wear neutral colors as bright colors may come across as distracting.

Clear your space and have a clean background

Try to set up your laptop in a place that is clean and clear. It's important to not sit with the windows behind you, as the light may make things look dark or washed out. Having a clear background is also important as it will be less distracting for the interviewer and will allow them to focus on what you are saying.

Be prepared

Now since everything, including interviews, are online you can be very well prepared for your interview. You can have a copy of your application, cover letter, and resume with you and refer to them during the interview in case you draw a blank. However, you have to be careful while doing this because otherwise it can look like you are reading off of a piece of paper instead of genuinely answering the interviewer's questions. You can also take some time to write out questions you want the interviewer to answer. This will show your interest in the job/position you are applying for.

Maintain eye contact

Now this can be a little tricky since you are talking to someone through a screen, but you should try to maintain eye contact just as you would during an in-person interview. It can be easy to get distracted when talking to a screen, so it's important to stay focused and maintain eye contact.

Speak slowly

I've noticed that when I give interviews I tend to talk very fast because I have a lot to say and I wanna make sure that I get all my points across. While this may slide during an in-person interview, it won't during a Zoom interview. It can already be difficult to understand what someone is saying online especially if they are talking fast. Just slow down and be as clear as possible when speaking.

Make sure you have a good WiFi connection

The last thing you want is for your WiFi to stop working while you are giving an interview. It's important to make sure that your WiFi is working well and that you have a stable connection before you have your interview.

Remember to be confident and just be yourself. You got this!