‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ Is Truly Extraordinary

NBC's charming musical comedy is one melody I don't want to get out of my head any time soon.

5
Photo by Eric Nopanen on Unsplash

We all have a song inside of us begging to be sung. A heart song, if you will. What if that heart song could be heard aloud in the form of an epic song and dance number? That's essentially the gimmick that serves as the foundation for NBC's musical comedy "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist".

The show follows tech whiz Zoey Clarke as she navigates her new superpower that allows her to hear the thoughts of those around her in the form of heart songs. As she discovers this power, she opts to use it to help those around her in any way she can. It's a creative tagline that seems ridiculous at first glance, but in practice it's truly a stroke of genius. Being able to explore the thoughts and feelings of side characters through such an unexpected art-form makes for intriguing storytelling and a poignant means of understanding each one on a deeper level.

Each character, from Zoey to even the most seemingly insignificant side character, gets their moment in the spotlight as they bare their souls via covers of popular songs, old and new. Everyone has feelings they long to share, after all, so the portrayal of this through people singing their hearts out conveys this in a way that hits hard consistently.

The show's story tackles the grief that follows loss, the ups and downs of love, and other trials that plague people in their day-to-day lives. One episode in season two follows Simon, one of the show's main characters, taking a stand against the racism in his workplace. Another covers postpartum depression, a topic seldom explored in television as prominently as it is here. "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" is as groundbreaking and impactful as it is spectacular.

Spectacular is the perfect word to describe this show because it thrives off of its spectacle. Wherever Zoey goes, a show-stopping performance is sure to follow. It's charming, it's inventive, and it's endearing to its very core. Even after I'm finished watching an episode, I find myself listening to the soundtrack and humming along in free time. The talent in the cast is astronomical, with each song standing out on its own merits.

If you're a fan of music in any capacity, watch "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist". If you want a compelling exploration of human emotion, watch "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist". If you want a love triangle that is genuinely interesting and will have you switching sides every time you think you've settled on a favorite, watch "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist". Most of all, if you just want to have a good time, watch "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist". This show is one melody you won't want to get out of your head any time soon. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry, and it'll no doubt make you sing along. Here's hoping it gets renewed for season three!

"Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" is available to stream on Hulu and Peacock.