Moments From March For Our Lives From The Perspective Of A Former Youth Activist Of The 2010 Protests

A former youth activist highlights the observations she saw of human nature and the spirit of the march.

53
Emily Hausheer

Recently, I had the chance to attend a local March for Our Lives. I'm very grateful I got to attend and carried away a few insights about it.

First off, I'm proud to say I started off the day eating a baguette, brie cheese, then headed to a protest with a friend.

I've attended many protests in my life, and I've always been aware and try to keep informed on political issues. Peaceful protests are a central cornerstone of a free world and democracy. Without further adieu here are my takeaways.

We love youth activism- when it works for us.

Youth activists and former youth activists have to stick together. Let us stand in solidarity and help each other stay away from those who will use us. Let us not pretend that, "Ohh sorry your youth activism never happened!" Especially coming from politicians who praised the teenage protestors of 2010 for being "the new face of America, the youths are being heard and fighting for liberty!" Then denying the youth protests of 2010 ever got praised by them, and go on and criticize the youth protests of 2018.

Well, not just politicians- people. Please keep in mind politicians are humans like all of us, and have the same flaws and faults we all have. Unfortunately, we all have double standards, which is a reason why it's always good to step back and examine yourself.

Back around 2008-2012ish, teenagers came out in masses for politics. They took to the streets going door to door, mainly campaigning for the Republican Party. Democrats also had teenage activism, but not to the extent that the Republican Party had. These teenagers had clubs nationwide where they would discuss the Social Contract, Les Miserables, Locke's Second Treatise, and other books. They would plan and find candidates to campaign for. Many of these candidates openly thanked the teenagers and gave them credit for the victories.

Sadly, this past weekend these same candidates mocked teen activism, without taking into account that's the reason they are in public office. Many of these current protestors are unaware of teen activism's long, rich history. If you were on the protests of 2010 and 2012 and disagree with the teen activists today- talk to them, have an open dialogue. If you do agree but think they are mistaken, see what you have in common- take them under your wing as an older activist who understood the struggles and joys of teen activism. Stand with them, and defend them when politicians mock teen activism saying,"I was a teen activist once- for you."

Protests represent many views.

Once upon a Tea Party protest (no, I'm not a Tea Party supporter but this is a good story) the introverted and mild-mannered Senator from South Carolina, Jim DeMint was approached by a reporter and asked to explain all the anarchists and crazies in the crowd. DeMint looked at the reporter and said, "so out of a million people, are you seriously expecting everybody to agree?"

Just because one protestor or organization said or supported something doesn't mean everybody at the march does. The March for Life (pro-life march every year in DC) had "Atheists for Life." I doubt that means all the Catholics and Protestants at the march were atheists too!

Usually, the working class is unable to attend protests. The protests are either too far, or they have to work and are afraid of being fired for taking too many days off- they need to feed their families.

Protestors are the people being heard and represent many different voices for a common cause.

Something Should be Done

(This generally applies to any protest).

The rage of the people cannot be silent forever! Whenever an injustice exists in society, the people can only keep quiet for so long until they take to the streets demanding better- a new world! In indignation, the people march through the streets. They have been rejected time and time again, and promised success but faced with endless rejections. "Rejections" meaning the government or business ignoring their cries, but the people don't keep silent for long- it is in human nature to be heard.

There are core desires that every human dreams of- liberty, life, equality, and solidarity with each other. These may mean different things like "equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome" but the same result is there- the people want liberty, to live and not die. Liberty to be heard, and liberty to take to the streets.

Where there are protests- there is a problem that society wants to be addressed. There isn't always a clear solution, and there are many different stances and viewpoints.

From recent days let's look at a few major protests; March for Life, Woman's March, March for Our Lives, Tea Party, Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, and Generation Joshua.

Well, Generation Joshua was a youth activism/educational organization, but I'm still including them because they are hands down the organization that is the most influential in youth political involvement during 2010. Even the other side has taken to Generation Joshua methods of youth engagement and education in activism.

Back to the point, every protest addresses a problem. I saw "Occupy Wall Street" and you probably instantly thought, "we are the 99%" the problem was lack of opportunity for jobs."

In the Tea Party, the problem was a constitutional crisis. The solution? They argued among themselves as to what it truly meant to be a Tea Party supporter!

As you see with any of these groups there was a problem they wanted society to address and this shouldn't be ignored but instead should be looked at. I may not see eye to eye with every single member and person who protested, but I should listen to their concerns- their lives are at stake. Human lives are never something to be taken lightly but to be taken with utmost seriousness.

Isn't this the point of politics? To protect human rights and life?

School shootings shouldn't be normal, and yes I favor a ban on assault rifles. I'm not going to call myself an expert, but I will plead with you to listen when you hear a protest. Do not laugh and turn the other way, instead, listen to the concerns of the people. Do not let a few outrageous statements define an entire movement, listen to the problem and form your own conclusion as to how to solve it,

I close now in general, referring to all protests- yes, we must listen to all of them. We must listen to the voices of what people are indignant about and pay heed. We must make it our duty to solve injustices and make a better world.

I discovered the following quote and it was on my heart. I've had trouble tracing the original source of the quote. One friend noticed a similarity with Chant Du Depart a song about giving your life and all to the republic, another noticed a parallel to Simon Bolivar's, "I swear before you, before my country... I shall not rest until liberty" quote.

I have a suspicion this quote may have been written by a protestor of 2010, whoever this person was-

This statement I leave to you:

I promise before you, before my friends, before my country, before the world, and before all gathered here. I will not rest and I will speak forever for the rights of others and liberty.

We may not always see eye to eye, but let's try to get along with our fellow humans and find a way to make this world a better place.