You're Not Missing Out By Staying In

You're Not Missing Out By Staying In

It's OK to stay in, and it's OK to go out as long as it's how you want to spend your time.

16
You're Not Missing Out By Staying In
Meghan Horrell

College, a time where you're supposed to meet new people, go out every weekend and get completely smashed beyond your wits. College is a place where you feel pressured to go out and get drunk because you see that everyone else is doing it while it's really not who you are or necessarily want to be. I am currently living this, and learning that while college culture is great for some, it is really not for me. I guess that I can call myself an "old soul" or even a "mom" but it is who I am and I will not let the pressure, and stereotype of a college student change me or my belief system. I am a person who likes to spend her time going out to experience new restaurants, concerts, or really just spending time with my closest friends in a basement just hanging out and talking about anything. This post is in no way a "dig" on students who drink, but for those who feel out of place at college, or even high school because they don't like to party.

Currently, I am a freshman in college and find myself coming home every other weekend because; sometimes it's nice just to be away from the stress of school and see the people who love me the most. When I come home, however, or see people I graduated high school with I typically receive a flood of questions about as to why I had come home, and why I'm not in Pittsburgh drinking my nights away. These questions never bother me, but they almost make me feel as though I am supposed to be drinking my weekends away because I am a college student. I have never really been the type of person who goes out of their way to find a party or dress-up in revealing clothing to go have a "good time." Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting that experience, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay in or find something else to do. As a non-partier, I've been called boring, or maybe even prude, which at times can be hurtful because personally, I find experiencing a new place or even event can be so much more exciting than throwing up after drinking 30 beers.

I would like to say that if you are not a partier like myself, you are not missing anything. If you find yourself in on a Friday, or Saturday night doing something or spending your time the way you want to, you are not missing anything. I really would like to express that it is completely normal to stay in or find something better to do (in your own opinion), and if you're worried about making friends, or even keeping them you will because there are people like you out there! You will find the people who you'll want to spend your time with, even if it may take time, but it's OK to be an "old soul" and stay in if that is how you wish to spend your time. If you don't go out, you're not missing out because you're spending your time the way you wish to. It's OK to be at home or catch a movie with some friends in your dorm, do what makes you happy, and you won't miss a thing.