An Open Letter To My Best Friend's College Friends

You’re lucky to have met her, don’t take advantage of that.

27
Anna Jordan

To whom it may concern,

First, I would like to start off by thanking you from the bottom of my heart. I can’t describe to you the comfort it brings me to know that she has you in her life now. I’m so happy that she is happy and that she will be taken care of. I’m so thankful to know she won’t be lonely, that she won’t feel helpless or alone on a bad day. She will have you there when she gets sad or sick or angry. I’m glad that she has someone to share experiences with and to do life with as we transition into adulthood.

I ask that you take the time to get to know her, not just superficially, but in a real way. Know her favorite foods, TV shows, songs, etc. Know what makes her smile and laugh and know what makes her sad, nervous, angry, or uncomfortable. Realize who she is in her core (Spoiler Alert: She’s exactly the person she seems). Learn her facial expressions and her tone of voice because she won’t tell you how she really feels. Know her so well that you can tell what she’s really thinking even over text message. Know who her high school friends are and how important they are to her. Ask her about her interests and the things she did in high school. Know her stories, the things that made her who she is today. Don’t try to change a thing about her. Love her for exactly the person she is because that person is amazing. Have Jesus-chats with her and encourage her to be the best that she can be. Don’t let her down or take advantage of her friendship. Look out for her and make sure she’s following the rules (this shouldn’t be an issue, she’s such a goody-goody). Help her out when she needs it; please don’t let her post the awful Instagram captions she comes up with.

To be completely honest, this isn’t an easy thing for me to write. The fact that I can’t be there along side her is incredibly difficult. The fact that she now has people in her life who are important to her that I don’t even know is really weird to me. It’s definitely an adjustment. You should know that I’m nervous. I’m worried that she’ll like you better than me or that our friendship will be changed because of your presence in her life. I’m terrified that you have no idea who I am or how much your friend means to me. I’m also pretty jealous of you. You get to spend everyday with my best friend and I don’t. I really hope you understand how incredibly lucky that makes you.

One last thing, I ask that you take care of her. Be the most amazing friend to her because she will do that for you (and she doesn’t even have to try). She’s one of the greatest human beings you will ever meet. You need to know this. Don’t take advantage of the time you have with her. You will look back on your friendship one day and realize you are a better person because you had her in your life. She’s important to everyone she meets; you’re lucky to have met her, don’t take advantage of that.

Love,

The best friend