If You're Heading To High School

If You're Heading To High School

Here is some advice for all high school students, better learned now than later.

42
If You're Heading To High School
Ashley Corbin

If you're heading to high school, whether it's your first year or your last, there are some things you must know. For you freshman, it's OK to be nervous about this transition, but once you get there, you'll be just fine. And for you seniors, please, please, please do not wish away your last year.

These four years will FLY BY.

When people tell you this, you pay no mind. But I am telling you now, this is no joke. Enjoy your carefree years with little responsibilities, many opportunities and lots of free time. As soon as you walk across that stage at graduation, that's all over. Then, you have to start being an adult and start college or get a job and pay bills. Once you're out, you will be wishing you could go back.

So, enjoy your time. Do not spend your entire high school career at home studying or with a boyfriend/girlfriend. Make time for your friends, because, soon enough, these people won't be around. Go to basketball games, go to prom, go out to a party or a hundred. These are the last years of your childhood. Don't let this time go to waste.

Now, I am not saying you should never study because that's not my point. You're obviously there to get an education, so that should be a top priority. These grades you make in high school can make or break you, financially, when you get to college. You get scholarships based off of your grades and test scores. Not doing your homework or blowing off the ACT will hurt you in the long run. Taking these seriously will put more money in your pocket down the road. Take my word on that.

I am not saying that having a boyfriend/girlfriend in high school is a bad idea, either. This all depends on your personal situation. If you are lucky enough to find the person you want to marry that young, then great. I encourage that you stick with the person you love, as long as they treat you right. But, if you don't want to spend your time in a relationship, that is fine too.

But, you should never let your boyfriend/girlfriend walk all over you. If someone truly loves you they won't take advantage of you, they won't cheat, they won't make you feel inferior. Sadly, these happen a lot in high school relationships. The thing about "young love" is that some are so blinded by the thought of their first love, they may not see the whole picture.

A fairly common misconception amongst high school students is that – not sure how to say this lightly – "sleeping around" will increase your popularity. If you want people to know who you are, make sure it's for good reasons. If anyone leads you to believe you'll fit in by doing this, they are lying. You do not want to be remembered in high school as the person who always tried getting with everyone's boyfriend, or the girl who slept with the entire football team. Your time in high school should be used to make friends, not lose them or gain foes.

Depending on your group of friends, you may deal with a lot of drama in high school. Girls can be full of drama. All I can say about this is that high school drama is a waste of time. Do not take any of it personally. Chances are the hot topic of the day will only last for that day. There will be at least one rumor about you while you're in high school – I can almost guarantee it – but that is not the end of the world. When this happens to you, ignore it. Thinking back now, any drama back then is totally irrelevant now.

The four years I spent in high school will probably be some of the best of my life, with all the friends and memories made. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing about them. But, I do wish I would have taken a couple of pieces of advice more seriously. For all you high school students reading, just make the most of your very limited time here. You're only regret will be if you don't.

XO and best wishes,

Ashley Rose Corbin