When You're The Best Friend's Boyfriend

When You're The Best Friend's Boyfriend

Let me be the first to say that you picked a great girl to be with.

17
When You're The Best Friend's Boyfriend

Now that you have decided to date our best friend, you probably didn't realize that we were a part of the contract. As arguably the most important people in her life, we have a few rules you need to know when dating our best friend.

1. You are expected to Snapchat ALL of us.

It’s true. If your girlfriend isn’t with you, then she is probably with all of us. Chances are, if you Snapchat one of us, we will shout out saying that you did, and you can bet that the rest of us will be checking our phones to see if you sent that Snapchat to us as well. If you didn’t, you definitely lost brownie points with the girls. Yes, we know it’s stupid, but it’s true—so my advice would be to just send all of us that stupid Snapchat and save yourself the time.

2. You have to keep us all happy.

Of course, your girlfriend’s happiness is the most important thing to us and to you. However, if she isn’t happy with you, and she comes to us to talk about it, than I can almost guarantee that we also will be mad at you. If you fix the problem with your girl, that’s great, but you better do something good to keep us happy again, too. Remember, we are your girlfriend’s best friends, and we do have a say in the relationship, whether you like it or not.

3. You become one of the girls.

Sorry, but once you get closer to us, we don’t hold anything back.

4. We know everything that happens in your relationship.

What can I say? We are girls! Girls talk about what is going on in their lives and especially in their relationship, and who else would they go to but their best friends?

5. FaceTime becomes a "Family Event."

This is for you long-distance couples. If you FaceTime your girl, chances are, we are all probably around her or will be within the next few minutes. So my advice would be to smile, say hi to all of us, let us get anything out we need to say, and then eventually you can go back to talking to your girl.

6. You are in on the inside jokes.

99 percent of the time, you are probably aware of what is going on in our lives, which includes the jokes we make around each other, about each other, or about someone or something that’s going on. Eventually, you will be the one starting the jokes with us.

7. Dinner dates consist of you, your girlfriend, and the rest of us.

I can’t tell you how many times I have been on “dates” with my best friend and her boyfriend. At a certain point in the relationship, you just start asking us to go with you to dinner, or lunch, or sometimes even breakfast.

8. We expect guy advice every time we need it.

We are girls. We always have something going on that consists of problems with another boy. In the past, we would always ask the other girls what we think we should do. Don’t get me wrong, we will still do that anyway, but now that we have a guy in the mix, we will always ask for the “guy's point of view” on the subject. It’s like you are our own secret weapon against other guys. Just embrace it.

9. You have to get our approval before you can be serious with her.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

10. Did she do something awesome on your date? You are welcome!

You took her out on a date tonight and she did something completely out of the ordinary, yet totally awesome. Let me tell you that 99 percent of the time, her girls are the ones that gave her the advice to do it. If you liked it, you better tell us thank you. We can make the relationship a whole lot more fun if you do.

11. Thank you.

We might not say it often, but thank you for making our best friend happy and being there for us, even when you don’t really have a choice.