Your Team. My Team

Your Team. My Team

In life, we have teams. Some small, some large.

59
Your Team. My Team
Shaun Wisemann

Since we were younger, we have played games. Some games require a team and usually a team captain to pick their players. Unfortunately, someone had to be chosen last when the leader is picking teams and naturally, someone was always chosen first. The one chosen first was usually a friend, most popular, or perhaps just really good at the game. But there would always be that one person left. They would usually look down as everyone is picked and one by one, they would be on the other side of the team by themself. So of course the next time teams were picked, it would happen all over. The same person is picked first, while the same person is picked last. So how do you change the order? How do you go from being chosen last to first?

Well, you start to do the choosing.

So in reality, there are teams everywhere you go. Instead, we aren’t playing games. We are living life. Some people like to have a lot of people on their team. While others just like to have a few. There are certain “players” on each team that are a little more important to the “captain” than the next player. And, there is probably at least one person on every team that just doesn’t quite belong. But we keep them there because we may need them to play the game someday.

Is that exactly fair? To keep a person on the team when you may just need them on a rainy day? Or what about the fact that you may never let them play the game? They sit there staring at you, knowing they are your last pick. You ignore them for days or weeks, but occasionally you’ll say something to them… just to let them know you “care.” Because in the end, you may need them someday if all your other players decide to play a different game.

But what happens when that player gets the courage to tell you that they want another team? You usually tell them they mean something to you. That they complete your team, and without them, there wouldn’t be a team…right? So the player decides to stay with the promise that you will let them play. You decide to let them play a few games. But after a few games, you bench them again because your other players are just better.

Considering I have been benched way too many times by one particular team captain, I have decided that I want my own team. A game that all the players get to play with every one contributing to my team in their own way. One will not be benched for days or weeks. And if it ever feels like my team just may not be good enough for one player, then I will not hold them back from discovering others. I will hold my players to a certain worth and will not value one over another.

I will do the choosing. If you aren’t good enough, then you won’t even have a spot on my team.

Needless to say, at this point, I’m not sad that I was chosen last. I’m not hurt that you’ve wasted months of my time. I’m more so frustrated. But I’ve used this towards my advantage of just being an awesome bad mama jama. So we will see you on the field. My team against yours.

Oh, and watch my team kick your ass.