Your Social Media is Your Reputation

Your Social Media is Your Reputation

Every post is a reflection of who you are.

8
Your Social Media is Your Reputation
Uplifted

When you think of Facebook, what comes to mind? Friends? Family? Entertainment? Photos? Well, for most people, networking is probably not something that comes to mind.

When Facebook was first released, it was created as a social media platform for college students to communicate with each other. You actually needed a college email to create an account. As time has progressed, that is no longer the case and anyone can create a Facebook profile.

People of all ages utilize Facebook for various reasons, but what most people don’t realize is that employers are looking at your profiles and your online activity.

Yes, I know. You can make it private. I know you can change the settings and no one can see what you post except your friends list. But what happens when you share a vulgar video? Someone else shares it and then someone else and so on. Well guess what? Your name is still attached to the original share and all kinds of people from all over the world are seeing this video. Maybe you didn’t create it, but your name is still attached to it.

Have you ever thought about the pictures that you post or even the picture that your friends post of you? If you have pictures posted of you dancing on a coffee table at a party or funneling beers, then you may want to reconsider a few things. Again, yes I know your page is private, but do you know how easy it is to take screen shots or even just to save a photo? You can view anyones page and save it with a smartphone or take a screenshot of it. This means your photos could end up anywhere.

If you haven’t already, just Google your name. Because I guarantee employers will do it. You may be surprised at what you may find.

Social media has become such a large part of our daily lives that employers are scoping out your social media pages to see what type of person you are. In the workplace, people are generally professional, but employers are wanting to tap in so they can see who you really are.

You should want to be building your online brand identity. Yes, that is a thing now. It is so important to build a professional and personal online brand and generally, they can even be one in the same.

Stop and think about it. Have you ever heard the saying, “Once something is on the internet, it stays on the internet?” Well, it is true. Sure, this may not happen every time, but the possibility is always there.

Potential employers don’t just looked at a LinkedIn profile. They always look at all of your other social media pages.

So, you aren’t looking for a job so you don’t think this applies to you? I know you have seen those people who post, “I hate my job” or “I hate my boss” on my Facebook. Maybe they are just having a bad day and venting, but it is possible that something you post can jeopardize your job.

The world we live in today revolves around social media so it is important to build your professional brand along with your personal brand online. Think about the things that you post. How do you think others see you? Is this the image you want to create for yourself? Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t.

Building your brand online is not something that happens over night. It may require some self-development as to who you want to be and what you need to get there. Your online behavior is a representation of who you are. This is how others perceive you

Still think this doesn’t apply to you? Just remember this is your future. There are endless possibilities that could occur.

What happens if you need a job in the future? You never know who knows who. Sometimes, networking is half the battle of landing a good job. Even if you already have a job, who’s to say there won’t be a company layoff in the year?

One of your friends on your Facebook may have the connection you need to get an interview somewhere.

Think twice about what you post.