7 Signs You and Your Sibling Have A Big Age Gap

Your parents weren't in a rush after you or your sibling were born- and the result is a unique family dynamic that makes you special.

203
Celebuzz

Siblings–you can't live with them, you can't live without them–but they lived for a good chunk of their lives without you. Age is just a number, but your unique sibling relationship is defined partially by the time between your birth years and primarily by the connection you've formed in spite of it. To all of the drastically older and younger siblings that maintain their connection in spite of the critics, this is for you.

1. People confuse them for a different family member.

This varies with specific age differences and appearances of siblings, but it's likely that in some point in time, your older sibling has been confused for an aunt/uncle, while a younger sibling is confused for a child. Even worse, sometimes a spouse.

2. The oldest is the trial-and-error kid.

The oldest kid is like the character in an action movie that gets pushed forward to test for booby traps–you're basically a testing guinea pig. From your parents' parenting techniques, misadventures in school, discipline and navigating life, the oldest sibling either lays out a roadmap for success, or a warning label for decisions to avoid.

3. You sometimes feel out of touch.

Much like your parents, explaining the trends and habits of your generation can be just as frustrating between two siblings with a larger age gap. So what? They understand mortgages and you surpassed 2,000 followers on twitter–there's got to be some common ground, right?

4. Life's stages come at different times.

As the younger sibling, it may sound weird to say in your early school days that you have nieces and nephews, or that you were in your sibling's wedding before you hit puberty, or that you got into school right as they are getting out. If anything, you got to have amazing life experiences at a young age, and when your time comes, they will be there for you in their own life stage and no one will be around to steal your thunder.

5. Never having to compete

Consider yourselves lucky. Most likely, you will never compete over the same job, love interest, school, etc. Your parents will find it hard to compare you two, because elementary school students are held to slightly different standards than grad students, and their attention will be ultimately divided. The only threat is comparisons of "When _____ was your age...," but by the time that it's your turn, they've hopefully forgotten.

6. New perspectives

Whether you are the older or younger sibling in this situation, it's likely that you can learn a thing or two from your sibling. Whether they are going through what you've already experienced or living through something you don't understand, the disconnect in time allows for a new level of understanding that strengthens your sibling relationship.

7. You wouldn't want it any other way.

Sure, you never shared a class in school together, struggled at the same time about the same thing, or found yourself neck and neck in a challenge, but a sibling is a sibling and your significantly older/younger one is great. The various viewpoints, wisdom and understanding granted with such a relationship have given you a unique spin on life, and rare knowledge that other people your age may not have.

A sibling is your partner in crime no matter what, and whether it be age or your favorite traditions, you are unique in a very special way. Related by blood and bonded by your mutual experiences, siblings with a large age gap have a unique take on the world that they wouldn't have acquired without one another.