Shower thoughts and random questions
Lifestyles

6 Of Your Shower Thoughts, Answered

The weird questions you think of while shampooing have been solved.

363
6 Of Your Shower Thoughts, Answered
Maddy McKeever

I've thought of some very weird and specific questions before in the shower. But sometimes you forget what they were by the time you leave the bathroom. Then you never know the answers! So, to fill that void in your heart and knowledge, here are a few of mine that I hopped out of the shower to write down and look up later.

(Yes, I do keep a pad of paper and pen handy at all times, even near the shower. Trust me, it's hard to read the partially soaked words you wrote when you were half awake, but I do it anyway.)

Can big cats purr?

c1.staticflickr.com

No. Big cats have the ability to roar, but not purr. This is what differentiates big cats or 'roaring cats' from small cats or 'purring cats'. The difference all depends on the flexibility of the cats larynx. So unfortunately, you won't be hearing a lion ever purr, but it can still make some pretty cute sounds anyway.

Fun fact: The only big cat that can purr, but not roar, is the cheetah.

Can I bring a potato on a plane?

upload.wikimedia.org

Yes, you can. You can bring almost any food that is solid in either your carry-on or your checked baggage. Some exclusions apply (like baked potatoes are okay but not mashed potatoes), and you may have to go through extra checks depending on what it is, but general rule of thumb is that if it isn't a gel or liquid, you'll probably be fine.

I'm going to be honest, I thought of this because I was going on a study abroad trip to Italy and wanted to bring a baked potato to eat on the 12 hour plane ride....

What is the white powder used to assassinate people?

upload.wikimedia.org

Anthrax. It was laced into letters, later to be called the 2001 anthrax attacks, and that attack ended up killing 5 people and sickening 17. It was seen as one of the worst biological attacks in US history.

P.s. The image I used is talcum powder, you can't buy bulk anthrax, it's a bacteria, you can't even see it with the naked eye. If the image was anthrax, we would be in a lot more trouble.

When was ketchup invented?

c1.staticflickr.com

1812. Though something called 'ketchup in paste' was made in 1732, it was not even close to the recipe we know today. That recipe was Asian inspired and had things like mushrooms and walnuts in it. The recipe we know and love today was published in 1812 by James Mease.

Fun Fact: James Mease called tomatoes 'love apples'.

What are some ways to drape a toga?

img00.deviantart.net

Want to look like an ancient Roman? You can wrap a toga over your shoulders like straps, tuck around your chest like a tube top, or even use a rope to tie it at the waist like a dress. All you need really is a sheet, and maybe some safety clips. But it's worth noting that most historical Greeks and Romans wore bright colors like teal ad purple, not the white the movies always make it out to be.

This toga guide came in handy during my classes dramatic reading of Caesar. I even drew on fake facial hair with eyeliner.

Is there a proper way to eat sunflower seeds?

c1.staticflickr.com

Generally, just eat the seed. Though you technically can eat the shell, it is mostly fiber, doesn't taste very good, and can back up your bowels. Apparently, it has even caused medical problems before in children eating the hulls, so maybe teach your kids to spit out the shell. You could tell them like watermelon seeds that if they eat the shell sunflowers will grow inside their tummy.

Though when I was told the watermelon fib when I was a kid, it only made me want to eat the seeds more.

What is the cutest Harry Potter plant?

c1.staticflickr.com

In my opinion, bubotubers. (Even though the photo above is a mandrake.) For those of you who've played the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire video game, you know they are tubes that shoot slime. If you don't agree, there are many other great plants in the book within the book One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi. But after having seen the bubotubers in the video game, who look like green goo snowmen with alien antenna, you might very well agree they have a quirky charm.

To be honest, a lot of the creatures in Harry Potter are cuter than the plants.

Why does my thirst feel more quenched with cold water vs hot water?

c1.staticflickr.com

Because of your brains neurons. Your brain stops sending a thirst signal after enough water has been consumed, but scientist have found that cold water (instead of luke warm or hot water) slows gastric emptying and gives your stomach a chance to tell your brain that you're hydrated. However, both will hydrate you.

This will not stop me from drinking a hot coffee in the morning when I'm on vacation and its 90F.

I admit, at least half of these questions were about food. But to be fair, in the morning I shower before I eat breakfast, so I have an excuse.

I will likely think of just the right weird question when I get out of the shower the day after I write this, but here are just a few odd questions you may or may not have wondered the answers to at one point.

If not, at least you now know you can bring your baked potatoes on the plane with you.