Your Roommate's Goldfish In 20 Steps

Your Roommate's Goldfish In 20 Steps

Let's all take a moment of silence for the fallen roommate of this dorm room.

183
Your Roommate's Goldfish In 20 Steps
The Connversation

Having a goldfish in the dorm is a rollercoaster of a time.

1. Seeing the "free goldfish" ads from the biology department in the Daily Bruin.

After being experimented on with nicotine, these fish need new forever homes.

2. Coming home to a fish on your roommate's desk.

And knowing the odds of biology fish survival are slim every semester.

3. Naming the fish.

Once it's personified, you can never objectify the fish again.

4. Making plans to comfort your roommate if the fish doesn't make it through its biology experiment days.

Eighty percent or more of biology lab nicotine experiment fish die before the end of the semester, so the fish's odds are not in his favor.

5. Waiting to see if the fish makes it.

And hoping he will, so that the cost of the tank and fish food is worth it for your roommate.

6. Trauma bonding with the fish.

After a significant time has passed, it seems the fish will live. After such a time of fear and doubt, you find yourself growing more attached to the little guy.

7. Integrating the fish into daily life.

I mean, he's right across the (very small) room from you. What better way to procrastinate than by staring at your roommate's goldfish?

8. Buying the fish new decorations.

That $2 palm tree at Wal-Mart is too inviting to skip out on.

9. Feeding the fish when your roommate has late-night commitments.

The fish is your roommate's, but really, isn't he your friend too?

10. Talking to the fish.

Especially when the roommates are gone and it's just you and the fish and a night full of homework. "Hey, so um, how've you been?"

11. Noticing the fish get sick.

At first, it just looks like the tank needs to be cleaned. After a few days, the problem starts to look more obvious.

12. Assisting in the immediate transfer of the fish to a cleaner tank.

Maybe it was just the water that went bad?

13. Sitting inside a shower stall, scrubbing the inside of the fish's makeshift hospital.

If everyone acts quickly, the fish may live.

14. Using WikiHow to look up whether or not the fish has a chance of survival.

It's not a problem unless it's a problem that WikiHow can't fix.

15. Comforting your roommate as the fish dies.

Despite your best teamwork, the fish is swimming erratically, and it's not looking good.

16. Discussing with your other roommate how to facilitate the proper grieving process for the fish.

"What's the proper mourning period for a goldfish?"

17. Creating a small funeral for the fish.

Answer: one weekend and a funeral.

18. Cleaning the now-empty tanks.

They're just... so empty, you know?

19. Moving past the fish.

School continues.

20. Buying a new fish.

The cycle begins again.