Your Movie Guide For Awards Season

Your Movie Guide For Awards Season

Reviewed for you by the best

19
Your Movie Guide For Awards Season

I like to think of myself as somewhat of a movie buff. Not a complete movie buff, but somewhat. As in I enjoy films, specifically good films. You can tell by the way I used "films."

As much as I love my small college town's one movie theatre (it's an old art-deco, beautiful thing), the opportunities to see new movies are few and far between. So over breaks I take advantage of the current releases, and Christmas break is the best time to do this, as we are on the cusp of awards season.

The Golden Globes! The Oscars! The SAG Awards!

Since I may be biased in my artsy-film taste, I have also asked my 17 year old action-loving, long-"talky"-movie-hating brother for a quote on each review to give some variety.

Here's what you should see:

1. "Spotlight" directed by Tom McCarthy

Starring: Mark Ruffalo (aka The Hulk), Michael Keaton (you know him from Birdman, and if you haven't seen Birdman, go see it now), Rachel McAdams (if you're a bird, I'm a bird!)

Nominations: Best Motion Picture (drama, Golden Globes), Best Director (Golden Globes), Best Screenplay (Golden Globes), Supporting Female Actor (Rachel McAdams, SAG Awards), Outstanding Cast (SAG)

Synopsis: Spotlight follows the true story of the Boston Globe investigative team, "Spotlight", and their efforts to uncover the buried cases of child molestation by Catholic priests in their city.

I say: I really liked this film. It's a true story! Which is always fascinating to see. It has a mystery-novel element to it too. No explosions or car chases, but interesting nonetheless. Mark Ruffalo is amazing, I hope he's nominated for some Oscars - but regardless, just a stellar cast in general. So if you're interested at all in the behind the scenes intense, investigative journalism, or the seedy underbelly of the Catholic Church, check it.

Brother says: "I thought it was pretty good... pretty good... It was good, but it was boring, kinda... Interesting for old people."

So there you go, if you're old like me, go see it.

2. "The Big Short" directed by Adam McKay

Starring: Christian Bale (aka Batman), Steve Carell (Michael Scott), Ryan Gosling (a very tan Ryan Gosling)

Nominations: Best Movie (Musical or Comedy, Golden Globes), Best Actor (Steve Carell, Christian Bale, Golden Globes), Best Screenplay (Golden Globes), Outstanding Cast (SAG), Best Supporting Male Actor (Christian Bale, SAG)

Synopsis: A true story about the financial crisis of 2008 that explains exactly what happened and the few who saw it coming before anyone else and were laughed at.

I say: I found this very interesting. I also saw it with my financial advisor father who LOVED it and probably understood 90% more than me. Although the financial terms are confusing, the movie does a good job of explaining them in layman terms through clever, comic scenes. It was a good balance of a serious subject with comedic elements. A stellar cast and great direction, something that hits close to home for all of us - a must see.

Brother (hasn't seen it):

Do you want to seeThe Big Short?

"No."

Why??

"Because."

Because why?

"Because I don't care about it - I have no interest in seeing it. The title is stupid."

Ok but don't judge a movie by its title, folks.

3. "The Danish Girl" directed by Tom Hooper

Starring: Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything, gorgeous man), Alicia Vikander

Nominations: Best Actress (Vikander, Golden Globes), Best Actor (Redmayne, Golden Globes), Best Original Score (Golden Globes), Best Male Actor (Redmayne, SAG), Best Female Actor (Vikander, SAG)

Synopsis: A story loosely based on the life of Lili Elbe, the firs transgender women to undergo gender reassignment surgery.

I say: I thought it was a powerful story that is extremely relevant in our society today. Redmayne is a great actor (and makes a pretty lady), but Vikandor as the wife is stunning. It's a story of love and the difficulty of their relationship surrounding Lili's decision. The cinematography is also gorgeous. Worth seeing.

Brother (hasn't seen it):

Do you want to see The Danish Girl?

"No."

Why not??

"Because what even is the plot... I haven't seen the trailer, so I wouldn't really know. Again, doesn't sound like a movie that has a gripping plot. It's probably all just no action, emotional, and tiresome."

It is emotional, there is no "action" in his terms, but I wouldn't call it "tiresome"...

4. "Mad Max: Fury Road" directed by George Miller

Starring: Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron

Nominations: Best Motion Picture (drama, Golden Globes), Best Director (Golden Globes), Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble (SAG)

Synopsis: Set in post-apocalyptic Australia, a woman rebels agains the tyrannous ruler in search of her homeland accompanied by a group of women and someone named "Mad Max."

I say: Tbh I half-watched it. My brother watched it at home and I glanced up every now and again. Every time I did, there were explosions and someone died. Not really my thing, but surprise surprise, Brother loved it.

Brother: "Mad Max was awesome because of the post-apocalyptic stuff and the, like, desert and the fire-y explosions everywhere and it was just all-around intensity for two hours. It's all about survival. Which is more interesting than a friggin' newspaper team [dig at Spotlight]."

5. "The Hateful Eight" directed by Quentin Tarantino

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russel, Jennifer Jason Leigh

Nominations: Best Actress (Leigh, Golden Globes), Best Screenplay (Golden Globes), Best Original Score (Golden Globes)

Synopsis: Set in Wyoming in the dead of winter, it follows a bounty hunter and his prisoner and the interesting characters they come across.

I say: I didn't see it (yet), but my brother's testimonial is pretty convincing...

Brother: "It was bomb. Gripping action. Riveting buildup - suspense. Cool violence. A hint of comedy. Makes the recipe for the perfect movie. Oh yes, a lot of tension as well. Tension that makes you sit on the edge of your seat. Unlike The Danish Girl. And gunfire also. Blood and guns. Ok I'm done."

Films I haven't seen, but looking forward to:

The Revenant (Is this Leo's year??)

Joy (Heard mixed reviews, but I am a J-law fan)

Carol(Apparently Blanchett is very good in this)

So there you are, folks. Go see them!