It May Be Pricey, But Your Mental Health Is Worth It All
popular

My Therapy Sessions Cost $155, My Antidepressants Cost $30, But My Mental Health Is Priceless

Maybe money DOES buy happiness.

1386
Marissa Mayer

Getting diagnosed with clinical depression was definitely a game changer for me, especially considering I was only 15-years-old. As if life as a high schooler wasn't hard enough, now I was an over-emotional teenager who had to take medication to help herself feel somewhat normal.

Little did I know that the combination of therapy and medication would quite literally save my life.

It's so easy to walk around a store looking at price tags on everything and trying to decide, is that shirt really worth $15?

Here I am telling you loud and clear: Your mental health is PRICELESS.

Granted there are plenty of days when I'm already in bed and I think, "Crap, I forgot to take my meds" or I grumble at the thought of having to go to therapy on a day when I'm feeling fine and I'm not sure what I'll have to talk about. But looking back on every session, every medication, I could not be more thankful that I have those resources and the ability to access them. Sure they cost an arm and a leg (especially without insurance), but I'd rather be spending the money doing what's good for me rather than having a little bit of extra cash when I feel absolutely miserable.

If you struggle with mental illness and are not medicated or do not attend therapy sessions, I'm truly encouraging you to do so! Talk with your doctor about taking generic brand medications or help you find a support group if you feel you aren't financially able to afford regular therapy or brand name drugs.

Most importantly, don't ever EVER feel like less of a person because you go to therapy or take medication.

I know for a long time I was stuck believing I was dumb, or weak for needing to go see a counselor or take meds to simply stabilize myself. After spending way too long on beating myself up, I realized that I'm no different than any other person who receives help for their own illnesses. People with cancer go through chemotherapy, people with infections take antibiotics, when you have a cold, you might take NyQuil. Whatever the case may be, never apologize for doing what's best for you!

You have a right to make your mental health a priority, no matter what the cost may be.