Your Major Does Not Make You Better Than Me

Why be negative to somebody who is getting an education, just like you?

13
Brianna Michelle Crane

Finding a major in college can be quite difficult, especially if you do not have any idea what you want to do, which contrary to popular belief, is completely okay. However, even for those that have an idea of what they want to do, it can be pretty difficult to actually choose the path they want to take in that specific field. Often times I find that college kids get the idea into their head that their major is 'harder' or 'better' than others. I even started hearing this way before I began college, so I know this has been something that people have always thought.

The fact of the matter is, everybody is different. People study different things. Some people love the medical field, some people love the law, others love art, business, architecture, education, history, or even music. Everybody studies something different and that is completely okay.

Of course, we need doctors, lawyers, and businessmen. But if we did not have art or music, just think about how boring this place would be. We need the arts to make us happy and content in life. Yes, everyone needs some sort of career to thrive and be successful, but we need the arts to seek happiness whether it be through music, painting, photography, or whatever else. Although, just as some people seek these things for extracurricular activities, or as a hobby, or to find happiness, many people choose the arts to be their career, and absolutely nothing is wrong with that.

Nothing irks me more than students comparing their major to one another by saying theirs is 'harder'. When it actually comes down to it, who cares whose major is the hardest? You are both in college, so why does it matter? You are both on equal playing field and you are both getting an education to better yourself, so why put somebody else down because you think your major is better?

Not to mention, I wholeheartedly believe that every major has their hard times throughout their college years. For example, an education major might have an easy fall semester and they find themselves constantly bored, but their spring semester might be nothing but studying and writing papers.

I just will never be able to understand people that compare their majors to others just to feel better about themselves and their career choice. Everyone is different and people are interested in different things, that is what is so great about this world. Everyone is different. If you think that major is so 'easy', why don't you just major in that instead? I mean, it is 'easy' right? No, you have a choice and you chose to major in something you like, just as the person of the 'easy' major chose something they like. Even so, if you tried to major in that 'easy' major you may even find yourself struggling at times, which just goes to show, it does not come off as easy to you as you initially thought.

Different majors are cut out for different people and not everyone can major in just anything. If people learned to just major in something they are interested in or passionate about, instead of just majoring in something that will make them a lot of money, maybe this world will eventually learn the true value of individuals. For example, I am a double major in psychology and criminal sociology, and yes, I have easier semesters than others, but then again there are semesters where I find myself in the library constantly. And that is just the beauty of college. You never know what you are going to get.

I do not think that my major is harder or easier than anyone else's. I have the upmost respect for communication majors, chemistry majors, architecture majors, english majors, business majors, engineering majors, history majors, social work majors, music majors, nursing majors, and anything else you can think of. Because the bottom line is, they are in college too... the exact same place that I am. So why downgrade them because I have different views or career goals than them? We need all these people in the world to truly make an impact, or these majors would not even be a choice to us, so quit putting people down simply because of the way they choose to educate themselves.