Let Your Friends Become Your Family

Let Your Friends Become Your Family

Friends are the family that you get to pick

6
Let Your Friends Become Your Family

Whether you are close with your family or not, going away to college forces you to leave them behind. It is challenging to be away from the people that have known and loved you longer than anyone else. Our families are the ones with whom we experience many firsts with. This creates an unbreakable bond and an emotional attachment.

If you are close with your family, you probably can't wait for the next long weekend or holiday break that you are able to spend with them. I understand that no family is perfect, but it is a privilege to have a family that leads by example. It is a blessing to have a support system that allows and accepts every part of who you are. Being away from home may always be difficult for you since you aren't constantly in the presence of their encouragement. While your mom or dad is only a phone call away, it is not the same as seeing them every day. In today's world, positive family relationships are becoming harder and harder to come by.

If you are not close with your family, going home may be something that you dread. For whatever reason, the place you grew up isn't the place that you consider to be your safe haven. Maybe you come from divorced parents that expect you to pick sides. Perhaps, you watch your parents struggle with addiction. Something entered into your household and tore it apart. This can cause you to put your walls up and become jaded. Let me be the first to say, I am sorry and it is not your fault. Extenuating circumstances happen, and there are things that we have no control over. Coming back to school after being home can even be challenging for you. When people ask how your break was, you may have to say it was great even when it wasn't. Hearing about others' experiences with their families may even make you jealous.

In whatever way your family fits into your life, remember one thing. Your friends become your family. College is a time that allows us to create lifelong relationships. The people that you surround yourself with now, will become the people that stand by you on your wedding day. Let your friends become the support system that everyone needs. Life is not easy, and walking through it alone will be even more challenging. They say that friends are the family that you get to pick, and that is true. You get to choose what you want and need from your "family". Friends can be there in ways your own family can or can't be.

To my own "family", thank you for showing me that people don't always have to let you down. Thank you for accepting me in whatever mood I am in. Thank you for letting me feel how I feel. I appreciate each and every one of you.