When Your Friends Already Graduated And You're Left Behind, It's Bittersweet

It's a bittersweet feeling.

41
Unsplash

This time of the year is always very exciting to most. For many, it means graduating and joining the workforce and for others, it means continuing grad school after graduation. But for the ones left behind in college, it means starting a new semester without your friends who have already graduated.

This is a bittersweet feeling. On one hand you love your friends and you're proud to see them walk across the stage, but on the other hand, you feel like you're not going at the pace you should be going. I'm sure you tell yourself that everyone navigates college at a different pace and perhaps it's better to take it slow, but part of you knows that it's hard to think that way at this time of the year.

Seeing graduation pictures and statuses of new job opportunities can be tough on you. Going back to campus after the break and making new friends can be nerve-wracking. But most of all, keeping yourself sane after knowing that you still have x number of classes before you graduate is the worst, I get it.

I know you know this, but you'll get there eventually. It may not be today or next semester, but if you keep pushing, you'll get to that finish line at your own pace. And once you get there, it'll feel so good you won't notice that you'll be leaving other friends behind. And that is OK.

Life is a vicious cycle and where you are now won't be where you'll be in a month or next year for that matter. Meanwhile, you just got to enjoy the "slow" ride because at some point it won't be slow anymore. Then you'll wonder why you were so worried about speeding up the process.

Sure, some bumps on the road might slow down graduation for you, but use them as motivation to keep on going and getting that degree you've worked for. Because that degree is what will keep pushing you forward.

In this time of the year, take the time to celebrate your friend's accomplishments and let go of ruminating on your own progress. YOU ARE DOING GREAT. The time will come when it'll be your turn to wear that cap and gown.

The exciting part about staying behind is that you have some more time to enjoy your college life --the lifestyle you will cherish for the rest of your existence.

Planning your future is always good, but at times being a little flexible can make you enjoy the ride more when you're not going at the same pace as your friends. So for this upcoming semester, just let things be and work hard. You'll get there. Stop stressing about your timeline and work on making each moment in college count. Make it worthwhile.