Your First Christmas As A College Kid

Your First Christmas As A College Kid

Welcome back...

102
Your First Christmas As A College Kid

For eighteen years, you got used to having that ten day vacation off from school, maybe with the occasional homework assignments from that one nasty teacher, and being at home with your family. Now, you're in college and if you're going home for winter break. Congratulations - you have like an entire month off, not just ten days.

If you haven't been home at all since you moved into your school, then finally going home may feel a little strange - you were basically thrown into this little world at your college; you made new friends, went out whenever you wanted, how late you wanted, and most importantly if you wanted to. You've been taking care of yourself for the past several weeks away from your family. And now that you're going back home, you're re-entering the world that's, believe it or not, easier than the college world.

No seriously. It is easier. Even though you think you have everything you need right in front of you, you don't.

Sooner or later, you're going to need actual food - not the easy, microwavable meals.

You will need to pay for things, and if you don't have a job at school, then where else will the money come from?

You have probably been dying to catch up on TV shows - who's paying for cable and that TV for you to come home to?

Maybe it's hard for you to admit it, but going home is honestly one of the best things ever. No more similar dining hall meals every day; your parents will either cook their famous dinners for you, or maybe even take you out to your favorite place when you get back.

You don't have to pay for your laundry when your home. And let's face it - a lot of us just decide to do laundry weekly, maybe even biweekly. So now that you're home, you'll have clean clothes almost every day...for free.

You don't have to carry your room key around with you when you're home. That fear of realizing you left it in the dorm room is one of the worst things in life.

No roommates, even if you're friends with them - everyone knows how the space at the dorm/apartment can feel pretty limited at times. If you have your own room at home, then guess what...YOU HAVE YOUR OWN ROOM RIGHT NOW.

And finally, if you're like me and you don't have a car in college, when you come home for the holidays, guess what? There's your parents' car(s) so conveniently parked in the driveway/garage!!! And it's/they're waiting for YOU to get behind the wheel.

I don't know about you, but when I finally get to drive when I'm home, it feels so different: I bike everywhere around campus, so you can see how different that is from driving. Drive to see your friends, drive to the gym, or the store, or wherever else - the point is that you're finally able to drive again!

Coming home for Christmas as a first-year college kid can be a little disorienting. You literally just got used to the college lifestyle and now you're back home. But enjoy your time home when you can, 'cause pretty soon, you'll have to go back to school for the second quarter/part of semester.