Your Body is your Temple: Tips to make Healthy Eating Fun and Easy

You are what you eat! So why be cheap and fake?

15
by Jihane Rodriguez made with Canva

You are what you eat!

So why be cheap and fake? right? Eating healthy is unbelievable easy but it takes some self-awareness and lots of preparation. Life is full of temptations and being prepared will help you make better eating decisions. Now, that is not to say you can't indulge now and then. Nor does it mean you have to restrict your diet and be miserable. Nope! It is all in the balance, and in choosing what is good for you and your body.

According to statista.com "The fast food industry in the United States generated approximately 198.9 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. By 2020, this figure was forecasted to exceed 223 billion. The majority of this large market is comprised of on-premises restaurants and drive-thrus, the rest consists of off-premises dining (take out) and cafeterias and buffets. In 2013, there were more than 232 thousand fast food establishments in the U.S., employing over three and a half million people." 232 thousand fast food establishments. That is a lot of burgers and fries. Don't take me wrong, burgers and fries can be delicious and satisfying, but it's the quality and the quantity of "burgers and fries" we are having that are taking a toll in and on our bodies. Also take in mind you can have less damaging versions of "Burgers & Fries" Op for leaner meats, or veggie paddies, homemade sauces, baked fries and whole grain bread. Oh and that milkshake? How about you substitute it with a freshly made juice or smoothie? Eating healthy (Or healthier) it's possible.

Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. First things first, if you are determined to eat healthier you need to get rid of all the sugar loaded, salty, artificial things in your fridge and pantry. Away goes the pop tarts, sugary syrups, ramen noodles, sugar loaded cereals, sodas, and frozen meals. The first time you buy food for your new healthy life, be ready to invest a good amount of money. After that, I'll get easier.

Things to have in your pantry:

- Himalayan pink salt (full of natural minerals and healthier than table salt)

- Olive oil. Avoid store-bought vinaigrettes and salad dressings. You can make amazing dressings using olive oil as a base. Try mixing olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Himalayan pink salt and pepper for an easy vinaigrette. Want something creamy? add those ingredients in a food processor or blender and add some avocado and fresh lime juice. Possibilities are endless and you can keep track of your salt and sugar intake.

- Pure maple syrup; If you have never had pure maple syrup, you will be blown away by the taste, so different to the sugary syrup you have at IHOP. You can use maple syrup to sweeten your coffee and/or teas. Agave nectar is another sweet and natural alternative.

- Dry fruits can spice up any breakfast. Springle over oatmeal with some maple syrup for the perfect fall combo.

- Quinoa and cous cous, natural and full of fiber excellent substitutes for pasta and white rice.

- Chia seeds. Chia is one of those stable healthy go-to foods you should always have. Chia seeds are among the most nutritious foods on the planet. They are loaded with fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and various micronutrients. Sprinkle over anything! salads, soups, smoothies. Eat on its own as a pudding (make sure you soak them first for them to get that gelatinous pudding texture.)

- Nut-based butter and spreads can deliver some of those healthy fats we are so scared off. Unsaturated fats, which make up the majority of the fat content in peanut butter, help reduce LDL cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease.

- Whole grain pasta or veggie pasta, contains more nutrients than regular pasta.

- Seasonal fruit and veg. If you buy seasonal chances are you will spend less money. You can easy buy a whole week worth of food for less than $30 (for two) Check out local farmers markets, they have the best variety. Some cities also offer seasonal weekly fresh produce boxes you can share with family or friends.

When eating out:

- Try to go for whole grain pasta and bread instead.

- Ask for olive oil instead of the creamy, sugary salad dressings.

- Try to avoid deep fried foods.

- Eat seasonal, farm to table is now more available and affordable.

For more info about healthy eating do follow me on social media, I am always sharing tips, food ideas and trends. @Onixjihane on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat.

Disclosure: Opinions are my own and based on my own experience and research. I am not a nutritionist, nor a doctor. I am just someone trying to eat healthily.