You Do You, You College Student

You Do You, You College Student

4
You Do You, You College Student

On weekdays from 8am until late, I am doing schoolwork and studying. Constantly burying my mind in textbooks and writing for hours to retain the knowledge I wish to keep. Followed by that, I have meetings for organizations I am happily apart of. I wake up exhausted from the previous night of studying and meetings, but so happy with how far I am coming. On Friday nights when everyone is (what they call it) pregaming, I am sitting at my desk enjoying the material that I am teaching myself to better my education until relatively late. I wait to have fun when my work is done, and when it is I can finally sit back and enjoy my weekend. I am making all A’s on every quiz, paper, and test that is put in front of me because I refuse to let any distractions come in my path every weekday I have.

Emphasis on the term “weekday”.

When someone is putting in so much effort to do well, they deserve to have a night to have fun too. To make memories that will last a lifetime and create friendships that are life altering. Whether you’re out in the city enjoying the night until it becomes morning or sitting in watching movies with your floor-mates; you deserve that. You should be allowed to do whatever makes you most happy during the times in which you aren’t cooped up in your room doing more work than you ever thought you would. The amount of amazing friends I have gained from my random shenanigans on a late Friday night makes me happy with where I am. I have met more people I ever thought I would, and I am beyond glad for that.

We all are here for the same reason. We are spending an ungodly amount of money to get a future that we have always dreamt of. We all want to succeed, some what to be on the Dean’s list, and others want to make lifelong friends and knowledge.

To judge someone for not staying in, for not going to Church every Sunday morning while in college, and to look down on them for what pictures you post is small minded. To judge someone based on the 640px by 640px photograph you see on social media is probably the worst thing you can do. That 640px by 640px photograph holds three seconds of that persons 24 hour day.

You don’t know what work they put in every week, Monday through Friday. The work they put forth when they could be doing something else on a Saturday afternoon speaks volumes about the dedication they have in their education, and that’s the side you don’t see. To judge and go against that person because they aren’t doing YOUR definition of fun is uncharitable. Before you choose to shame that person for what you assume, take a further look into the day to day life they carry when furthering their education willingly.

One last thing, just like your momma said… Don’t judge a book by its’ cover. Or in this case, by that 640px by 640px photo on Instagram.