You Will Always Be My Mini Me

You Will Always Be My Mini Me

A letter to my little sister.

115
You Will Always Be My Mini Me
Elysia Leos

Mini me,

You’re not so little anymore. I was only gone for a year, and every time I would visit you would know something that I didn’t, and had seemed to grow a couple inches taller. You say things that no one has ever thought of at the young age of ten. Mini me, you’re nothing like me, let me tell you why.

Your confidence is out of this world! You wake up knowing who you are, so sure that your day is going to be great. With no hesitation, you seize it, something I found hard to do at your age. My tongue was often tied by the words people said to me. My mind was never as strong willed as yours to not give into the pressure pushed on to me by my peers. Don’t ever let someone bring you down. Make sure your name is burned into their memory once you have left them, either in the dust or in your pocket. Continue this trend of self-confidence no matter what media outlets say what is “hot” and what is “not.” Keep your head up, and don’t ever let anyone make you feel bad for your sparkle and glow. Raise your hand in class, keep giving sass, but always remember to stay humble.

Mini me, you’re too funny! You always ask questions that make me laugh. Like, if dogs have belly buttons, or what happens when you have your mensies. You have the best comebacks—you’ve hurt my feelings often, but it’s okay because you’ve bounced off my sense of humor. Mini me, you’re funnier than me because sarcasm is your second language, and you speak it very well. Your facial expressions and Miranda Sings impression make me laugh my ass off (literally). Keep your sense of humor as you age, because you might find it hard at times to make people smile. That is something you do easily. I hope you know that without you, I would never laugh as hard as I do—I would not have any idea what true comedic timing is, and how to laugh at nothing at all, like we do often.

My beloved mini me, you cherish me! I have no clue why. I am not drop dead beautiful, nor am I the nicest person—but yet, you still look at me like I’m the Beyoncé of your world. Watching me put on my foundation and liner in awe. You’re curious to know more. You’re obsessed with my face when I think its repulsive. You tell me, “Lala, you’re going to be okay,” when it should be the other way around. You make me feel like I can take on the world with your “I love you,” and I do my best to show you what a strong woman looks like. Mini me, forgive me if I don’t shower you with words you offer me on a daily basis, but I am speechless when it comes to you. You’re intelligent, beautiful and blow me out the water! Don’t let my negativity become a trait you inherit. Don’t doubt yourself because it gets you nowhere. Don’t ever forget to cherish yourself before anyone else.

Finally, mini me, don’t forget to be yourself! It doesn’t matter how much you look like me, how much you sound like me, or how many more inches you grow. Always be yourself, don't forget who you are and who you want to be, and always remember—you will always and forever will be my mini me.

Love,

Your Lala