Boston, This Is Why You Have To See 'Patriots Day' Right Now

Wahlberg was right; it wasn't soon enough.

6
Gretchen Ertl/Reuters

Nothing will ever change the past, the memories, and the taken lives and limbs from the tragedy of the Boston Marathon bombings.

People will live with the wounds it left for the rest of their lives. Some may never finish recovering. When it was announced in 2016, just a shy three years later, that a movie was in production about the tragic week of the Boston Marathon bombings, many people thought it was too soon for it to happen.

Mark Walhberg, who co-produced the film and starred as its fictional protagonist, and director Peter Berg acknowledged that people would not want to be reminded of the dreadful time. Yet, as a native of Dorchester, Massachusetts, Wahlberg wanted to be the one to tell the story.

“The wounds are far from healed, but I realized if the wrong type of person came in and made this, it could have turned out to be extremely gratuitous,” Wahlberg said. “I knew a lot of the responsibility was going to be on my shoulders. But I pride myself on being able to go home and show my face, so I wanted to get it right, you know?”

It takes a lot of guts, responsibility, and pride to accept the main role of such a touchy film in which audience members don't know what to expect of it at first. However, Wahlberg and Berg's collaboration (their third collaboration, for that matter) works tremendously for a film that absolutely has to succeed. They made an excellent shot at buckling in audiences, regardless of the level of emotion, with the accuracy of the true events, the realism that really puts you into perspective, and the inclusion of so many important details.

Not only does the duo exceed many expectations with their depiction of the week of events, but they also effectively present how the Boston Marathon bombings brought together the entire city. The chemistry of the entire cast worked so well that it gave audience members a major reminder that no matter what makes the people so unique and different from each other in Boston, the city is one. Boston, like all cities of the country, unites as a prideful city. The citizens are there for each other for support and comfort, especially in times of need. Law enforcement officials come together and stay together tirelessly every single day in their efforts to protect the citizens and bring justice to those who bring harm. "Patriots Day" shows what it means to unite, but from the heart, it also shows what it means to unite in Boston.

Although the damage is far from repaired, Boston has come a long way in three and a half years, and "Patriots Day" demonstrates the beginning of the journey so beautifully.

Boston is one.

Boston Strong.

Never forget April 15th, 2013.