You, Me & College

You, Me & College

We're Still Together Even Though We're Miles Apart

18
You, Me & College
Michelle Holt

Some say we're two different people, but I like to think that you're just the sister I never got to have, I'm also pretty sure my parents like you more than me sometimes. We've been through thick and thin together and have weathered the storms that have persisted through the last 5 years. Only 2 more years to go and if we can make that, than that's a total of 7 and well hopefully our friendship will last that long.

You're my voice of reason when I'm loosing it and I know that I can count on you for everything. You've seen me at my best and at my worst. I'm there for you like you're there for me. We help each other through everything and I don't know what I would have done without you during junior/senior year of school. I've had best friends, but you're the epitome of best friend because what everyone else has done to me, I know you would never do.

You have talked me out of killing Mr. Weyler time after time when he put me in asinine animal costume after costume for shows, just like I've talked you out of killing him for multiple reasons. You have boosted my confidence when I told you about having to play a politician's wife in "Rumors" and being slightly slutty, but I mean I was the youngest in the cast, so it was really out of my comfort zone. I didn't know what to do.

I remember meeting you during theatre and you told me later on that you originally thought I was in my twenties and then you found out that I was a year younger than you. I think that was one of the biggest shocks for you.

Skip forward a year later and I we were going to the same high school and I remember being a little lost because there were very few people there that I knew. I knew you and 2 other people and that was very different for me because everywhere else I knew so many people, but I remember on that first day you dragged me to meet Weyler and basically said, "here, you can use her." I don't know who was more shocked me or him.

You were there for me during the whole "Chris Thing" which lasted 4 freaking years and then you were there for me during probably the lowest of the lows. I don't think I ever got a chance to properly thank you for those 2 years. I didn't know who to turn to and I think I came to rely on you more than I should have, but you never once said anything negative and you showed me that there was a light at the end of the terrible nightmare that was my life. I think I relied on you and unloaded all my problems on you, but there are times that I didn't listen to yours. I am truly sorry if I ever did that. I never meant to.

I still run to you even now when we are 260 miles apart. You are one of the 4 people I keep in touch with from high school and even though we're basically 4 1/2 hours from one another, I like knowing that even if we don't talk for a week, when we do it feels like we're in the same room.

I think I needed you in the 4 years we've been friends because you never turned on me and you know me for how I am. You know that I'm not exactly a trusting person like others and you know I don't open up to others easily, but somehow you and I click because I've told you more than anyone else and that I think should scare me, but you're my best friend and I wouldn't trade you for anyone.

You've made me better in so many ways and I think that's because you showed me the reality when I needed it. When I told you what happened at school, you wanted to be here with me and even though you couldn't you talked to me for as long as I needed someone to listen to. I think that's when I knew that this friendship would last through college.

I've seen you at you're worst too. I would hope that I have helped you as you have helped me. I was there for everything pertaining to theatre and school and when you were loosing your mind because of our teachers. I'm here now as a helping hand and a listener with what's going on in college. I like to think that we have helped each other get to this point in our life. We survived high school together, I think we'll survive college, that is if something doesn't kill us first (kidding).

You have told me time and time again when I complain that I should just quit and do something I enjoy, but you know that medicine and science are what I'm good at and you only tell me to quit because you know that it just pushes me to do better and try harder. I tell you the same thing with your major. You are passionate about everything in life that matters to you and I hope that in a couple of years I can be half the person you are.

We each have our strengths and I think that is what has made us the perfect blend of each other. Where one lacks, the other succeeds and we balance each other. Our friendship means more to me than 1,000 friends and I don't know what I would do if I lost you. I would move on, but a part of me would be missing.

So, even though we're miles apart, we're still together. I know that college will change and shape us into better, different people, but I hope that it will strengthen the bond we have. College is about change, but I don't want us to change if that makes sense. I want us to change and hopefully for the better, but the us that we were before college, I hope that we can change and be better for each other.