If You Love Me, Let Me Go

If You Love Me, Let Me Go

What my first heartbreak taught me.

5
If You Love Me, Let Me Go
Deviantart

"If you love someone, you'll let them go. If they come back to you, it's forever. If they don't, it wasn't meant to be."

I repeated the words over in my head. These simple, but prophetic words were the only hope that I could have possibly made the right decision. I was a fool to let him go, I mean what girl would, but I couldn't stand it. I couldn't stand not being all that he wanted.

I'd see the way he looked at her; like she was the most beautiful girl in the world. I'd see the way he'd stand protective of her anytime she looked the least bit distressed. I'd see in his eyes the way he'd long for her, want her, need her.

I couldn't take it. I wouldn't take it. Would you, if you knew that you were what he had settled for because of the simple fact that he had no choice.

So I let him go. I let my love go. I told him that if he wanted her, to take her. Leave with her because I wouldn't live my life wondering if every time he touched me, kissed me, or even made love to me if he would wish it was her that he was with.

I wanted him to fight for me. I wanted him to beg for me not to make him go. I wanted him to grovel on his knees for me, but he didn't. He asked me if I was sure that's what I wanted, and with my "Yes, I'm sure", he was gone.

He went to her.

I didn't worry though, I'm his soulmate. We have a bond so tight that he couldn't leave me, even if he wanted to. I knew he'd be back for me because it's what fate had decided, and it's not like you can just go against that. No, he'd realize that she wasn't half of the woman that I am; He'd realize that he needed me, that I need him. He had to.

I was sure. He'd come back for me, and then it would be me and him forever.

I guess it wasn't meant to be.

He never came back.