You know you go to South Dakota State University if...

It's the small things, really.

99
Myself

My freshman year here at SDSU is coming to an end, so I thought I would share some of the things I've learned (outside of class) here. If you go to South Dakota State, you know all of these things are more than true.

1. You're always walking into the wind.

Remember how your parents always joked that they walked uphill both ways to and from school? Well this is like that, only true. It doesn't matter which way you're walking, the wind is always there in your face. The best is when you get between two buildings and it feels like the tornado simulators that used to be in the malls that you paid $1 for. It's even better when it's -10 but feels like -20 because of the wind chill. It'll get ya.

2. Bailey Rotunda is the most confusing circle you'll ever be in.

"Rotunda is nice, you just go in one door and walk confidently to your class. You'll find it eventually because this place is a circle, no one will ever know you're lost!". This is one piece of information I remember vividly, word for word from orientation. They weren't wrong, but still to this day Rotunda D is the only room that I know the exact location of. Every other time I just follow someone I recognize from my class and hope for the best.

3. 3rd floor Avera or 4th Floor Wagner is equivalent to Mount Everest.

This is pretty self explanatory. Either it's an awful trek or I just need to hit the gym. Both are plausible.

4. Walking to Animal Science in February will ruin your day.

Walking to Animal Science from anywhere that isn't Biostress is terrible. Now add negative temperatures to it and it'll make you question why you didn't go somewhere South. It's worse than it sounds.

5. Black ice.

Black ice is one of those things that just come with winter, but is by far the worst part. It just sneaks up on you and before you know it, you're on the ground in front of 30 people. It's a character builder for sure, BUT if you see it and acknowledge it's there, it can't get you. It's similar to a ghost because it can't do anything if you're not scared and know it's there.

I don't like these things, but that doesn't mean I don't love my school. Happy almost end of the year and go Jacks!