You Know You Are First-Generation American (Sicilian) When...

American with Sicilian Roots

315

Bon vinuti! Welcome!

I am first-generation American; both of my parents were born and raised in Sicily. Eventually, both of them became U.S. citizens. Since there are many regions of Italia/Sicily, each region has their own unique authentic color and dialects. For future reference, "Gabagool" is not Italian, but an American slang for an Italian cold cut.

Here is a wonderful video of two individuals showcasing a few different accents:

1. You have more than one refrigerator in the house...

Very likely that one refrigerator is in the kitchen, and as the family’s daily needs. The others are located in either the basement or garage and have a year’s worth of food.

2. You call Sunday tomato sauce, sauce NOT gravy...

Gravy is what you put on roast turkey and meat loaf. Ragout, is a combination of meats and sauce. Bolognese, a combination of ground beef, vegetables and sauce, finished with heavy cream.

3. Sauce is not store bought either...

Ripened tomatoes are jarred in the summer for all year round.

4. Taking a "sangweech" to the first day of Kindergarten

An entire hero with various delicious cold cuts, while all the other boys and girls have bologna, cheese and wonder bread, or peanut butter and jelly.

5. Going to eat at Olive Garden is considered a sin...

I know everyone’s seen that Youtube video of Italian grandma’s trying the “new” Olive Garden. Most of the grandmas did not enjoy what they ate, maybe the others were trying to be nice. Treat yourself to some wholesome food in your mom and pop Italian restaurant. Anything is better than the franchises.

6. Food is the cure to any ailment

Here’s some food trivia, there is no chicken/veal parmigiana in Italia, never mind if you are looking for it in a hero. Chicken/Veal Milanese is the equivalent to a fried chicken cutlet, and it’s usually served with a delicious spring greens salad. Everything topped with cheese and sauce kind of cooking is American with an Italian influence. You know your first generation Italian when that kind of cooking is a rarity, your mom most likely cooks with a lot of extra virgin olive oil and garlic. And, it doesn't matter whether you have a headache or a pulled muscle, mom will always tell you, "its because you no eat right."

7. Your mom has stashed away a big chest full of tablecloths and sheets from Italy for your wedding day...

This is more female oriented—daughters, nieces etc. Its considered a dowry for when you get married. All the tablecloths and sheets are most likely handmade by a great aunt or great grandma. Speaking about grandma, never insult her cooking, ever.

8. Speaking about your wedding day, when are you getting married?!

It’s all about expanding the family, the more the merrier. Some of us women though need some more time on the marriage front. In my case, I want to be more financially stable as an individual and help contribute to the relationship.

9. Family always comes first …

It does not matter whether you get along, at the end of the day you are bonded by blood. If anyone in your family needs help, you are always a phone call away.

10. Papa made his living in the blue-collar industry (i.e. painter, electrician, plumber, masonry, carpenter, etc.)

Most Italian fathers learned a skill or trade, and came to the States with that little gem of knowledge. Here, they could make a wonderful living off of it, but not without the aches and pains of hard sacrifice and callous hands. Ahh, the American Dream.

11. Mamma was a homemaker.

Now there are a few exceptions, but most Italian mammas are homemakers. They work hard to keep the house immaculate, cooking, making sure your laundry was clean and squared away, beds always made. This depends on how old they were coming to the States. My mom came here when she was young, became more Americanized, and always held a job. After we were all grown enough, she went back and got a part time job.

12. Garden in the backyard has everything from herbs to vegetables and fruits.

Yes, the family fig tree, and maybe a grape vine that needs to be tied up and maintained throughout the year to ensure fruitful harvest in the summer.

13. When you bring friends over they think your family is arguing.

Nope, we just talk loud, sometimes even the neighbors can hear us.

14. You can trace back to where your parents are from.

And, maybe have even visited there.

15. You most likely started drinking coffee when you were a kid.

Your friends are shocked by your ability to drink coffee any time after 5PM and still be able to sleep. And, although you like the occasional American breakfast, nothing like a cornetto and cappuccino after a good night's rest.

The difference between then and now...

For all my beautiful Sicilians out there:

Salutamu e Bon Anno!!!!

Farewell and Happy New Year To All!!