You Choose Desire or Happiness?

You Choose Desire or Happiness?

It's a fate that only you are in control of.

23
You Choose Desire or Happiness?
Alan Watt

Once December comes around I’ll be 20 years old and I’d like to say life is exactly how I dreamt it to be but it’s not. Don’t get me wrong, I am so thankful for the good things I do have but there are things that I wish were different. A girl can only dream so much before she has to go out and get what she wants from these unpredictable years. I assure you that dreaming is very relevant and that one should continue to do so even though it is inevitably impossible to get exactly everything one desires.

As for desire, it’s not the most important aspect of one’s life. Everyone has a desire for something or someone and I can’t promise that your desire will be completely fulfilled. See, desires are the luxuries of our lives. They are the small tokens that only a few receive and the small tokens that some care too much about. Underneath all those expensive, meaningless, desirable things that people so utterly crave for is an aspect of life that should be more desired. Happiness.

The thing is people overlook this nine letter word because they feel it’s unreachable. Happiness is a lie because of how our world and society functions but whoever thinks that, is wrong. If you think back to your younger years, it’s so clear. Our teachers, parents, and other significant figures in our lives have been giving us access to the keys to unlock this so unreachable aspect. It’s not about material objects or money; it’s about feeling good about one’s self. Happiness is not something you can buy or give through material objects. It’s earned.

With that being said, you may think “I don’t know what this girl is talking about. I feel good about myself. I have this and that, and many more things that make me happy”. You’re missing the main point of it all. Going back to dreaming, what is it that you dream to do? For me, I dream to have a doctorates degree in Neuroscience, a lovely husband, maybe a few kids, and a nice home with a steady income. But that is not happiness, is it? No, see you can dream these amazing things that make you feel happy but happiness comes from within. I understand that being successful with a family and a home can make a person feel happy but there are so many people who have this and are still not happy. So, what is happiness?

Okay, listen close. Happiness is your why. What does that mean, you ask? Your why is the reason you pull yourself out of bed, the reason you run that extra mile, the reason you make connections when you’re afraid to open up; your why is the aspect of life responsible for happiness. If you don’t take advantage of your why, then you’re not going to be happy. Don’t let yourself be forced out of bed but be excited to get up and start a new day. Your why is risky but achievable. You have to believe in yourself and others if you expect to be a happy person. Believing is the first step to working on your why and finding internal happiness for yourself. So I ask, what is your why?