I Finally Learned You Can't Please Everyone And Thats OK

I Am Already A Stressed Out College Student And Trying To Please Everyone Just Causes Added Stress

I am not responsible for how other people feel.

228

One of the hardest pills I've ever had to swallow is that no matter what I do, someone will always end up unhappy. For someone like me, who always tries to please others, this was difficult to accept. But with trying to please everyone, I found that I was almost always unhappy. I felt like I failed when someone ended up upset. It has taken almost 21 years for me to understand that I can't put everyone else's feelings before mine. No matter where I am, whether it's work, school, or with friends, it's likely that someone will be unhappy. It's not that I try to upset others, I try to do my best always, but there comes a time when enough is enough, and it's time to put yourself first.

I was basically forced to accept this at my current job. I love my coworkers and employers but with my position, there is always someone unhappy. It took a toll on me for a while I was trying to make sure everyone ended up happy. That was just unrealistic for me to think. After I accepted that things got a lot easier. I found myself much less stressed about what others think of me because no matter what, they're going to think what they think. It was an unnecessary weight that I was carrying around on my shoulders. I'm a stressed out college student, I don't need to be stressing about things like that, things I can't control.

From now on the best piece of advice I can give anyone, is put yourself first, because you CAN please yourself. You are the only person who has the power to make you happy. Others will feel what they feel. If you spend your whole life trying to please others you will not be able to grow into the best person that you can be.