You Can Love Someone Before You Love Yourself, But You Won't Be Able To Let Them Love You

I'm going to go against the grain and disagree with the old adage that "you can't love someone else before you love yourself." The truth is (at least in my experience) you can… but in the process you're going to drive yourself crazy. Most likely, you're going to put that person on a pedestal. You're always going to be wondering why, and how, they like you.

25

Do you know what it feels like to wonder if you're an imposter? No, I'm not talking about "Among Us". I mean, do you know what it feels like to wonder when someone's going to realize that you aren't what they think you are, and that after they get to know the true you they will leave? For you, the anticipation of always thinking that they are wrong to like you causes you to push them away. You would rather have control than feel like you're walking on eggshells every single day. Sometimes you will even sabotage the relationship; some of you might push them away or become hyper critical, some of you shut down, and the remaining cling on too tight. Pick your relationship destroying poison.

Yes you can love someone before you love yourself, but if you don't love yourself then the relationship you form is not going to be healthy. It's just a band aid covering the void within you, that no one else can fill but you. If you don't love yourself, I hope that the person that you're with is a good person. When you don't love yourself, you might put up with treatment you just don't deserve. When you don't love yourself, you might teach others not to love you too. Say, you find the perfect guy. We only accept the love we think we deserve. No matter how loving that guy is, he can't pull the weight of two people. He will never be able to love you enough to make up for the lack of love that you have for yourself.

Until you love you, hope for a miracle before you can hope for a relationship which can stand the test of time. No one can love you better than you can. When you do take the time to love you, you are going to be much happier. It took me long enough.