You Can Do It!

You Can Do It!

Getting through this semester is entirely possible.

3
You Can Do It!

Hello there, college students.

How are you doing?

Guess what? You are one-third of the way done with fall semester.

My university operates on a lovely, oh-so familiar semester schedule, not the quarterly schedule (of which I know nothing about, so if you are on a quarterly schedule just see to the big picture here). We started at the end of August, and will complete the term at the beginning of December. Last week was week five…out of fifteen…whoa.

Midterms are coming. Labs have started, and at the same time (since they end before the rest of the semester does) they are about to wrap up. The “fall flu” is going around and it’s hitting EVERYBODY. This is the point in the semester where professors start to amend their syllabi, because that new assignment tactic they wanted to try out just is not working. ALL the fine arts students are in rehearsals, and between four to eight weeks to get their productions performance ready. Research is being done; projects are fully underway.

BUT WE JUST STARTED SCHOOL.

Right?! Doesn’t everybody feel like they are just starting to get back into the routine of juggling every aspect that comes with the school year?

Juggling is SO hard. However, I somehow manage to look back at the end of the semester and convince myself that it was not even that bad. I believe this is because I have picked up on a few tips, tricks, life hacks (if you will), and secrets to surviving the semester.

Hydrate. Splurge on a nice water bottle and never let it leave your side. Simply getting a healthy dose of H20 on a regular basis helps all around. It washes away toxin in the body, helps prevent you from catching the fall flu, and even helps with weight loss (which everyone in college is concerned about).

Plan. I am a planner; I have a planner. I live off my phone calendar and my planning notebook. Not everyone have to be as crazy and I am about planning, but it is still helpful to have a plan. Looking at a huge pile of work from multiple classes is pretty daunting, but can easily be conquered. First, figure out what is due when. Then decide when you are going to work on what, so that you do not have to do it all in one sitting, and you will not be inclined to put it off. Also, have designated homework time. I like to go to class, and then go work on my homework. This puts me doing school from about 10:00 am until 5:00 pm. If I finish my homework early, great. If the clock strikes 5:00 and I am not done? Too bad, I am on the next activity.

Wind down. We all reach a point in the day when our brain, body, and energy is spent and used up for the day. Personally, my time is 5:00 pm. After going to class, doing homework and/or housework, I am DONE. So, relax! Have a cup of tea, watch some Netlfix, hang out with a friend, read a book; whatever you want to do to relax.

Make time. Plan some time where you do nothing. Just have some time away from school, work, and other daily stressors. My boss is the one who actually told me to do this, and I have found having a “Sabbath day” is very therapeutic.

See you in December!