When Do We Stop Judging Ourselves?

When Do We Stop Judging Ourselves?

When was the last time you looked in the mirror and said something positive about yourself? Or the last time you did something and didn't think about how it could have been better?

2
When Do We Stop Judging Ourselves?

Remember when we were kids, we didn't care how we looked, or what we did or what kid would be our new friend. All we would care about was making friends and having fun. Then one day, we started judging others and ourselves. We'd wake up and start thinking that someone needed a new diet or how much we envied someone else for always looking good in every outfit, while we feel unattractive. We then realized that thinking negatively about others is not right, so we'd focus on every single aspect of our own body and personalities traits. Here is where several people are on, myself included.

A couple of days ago, I caught myself criticizing my body for being bloated. Hours later, I found myself glaring at my baby fat and mentally scolding myself for not working out harder. The truth is, I have increased my working out hours, I have replaced taking the closest bus stop for the long walk to the bus station. Do I see that when I look in the mirror? No, and I know many others don't either and end up making bad decisions, destroying themselves.

Sadly, I cannot tell you how to stop thinking bad about yourself. I can make suggestions, though. Smile to yourself when looking in the mirror. Tell yourself that you are pretty (or handsome, because men feel insecure, too!) because you are. Focus on the right things going on in your life. Are you working out? Pat yourself on the back for that! A lot of people don't even walk towards the gym, but not you. Did you get a promotion? Congratulations! See, you are doing things right! No need to worry about the mistakes you thought you made.

It will not be easy to stop criticizing ourselves. Not with the considerable influence of social media in our daily lives, not when we expect immediate results. The journey of self-acceptance is hard and long, but I believe the battle will get more comfortable with time. Remember you are smart, beautiful/handsome, and your own person. Look for that confidence you once had and make yourself feel happy in your skin once again.