8 Reasons A New York State Of Mind Is The Best, No Questions Asked

Billy Joel had the right idea.

260

I didn't realize how much being a New Yorker has impacted me. Growing up just outside the city has given me the freedom to take a day trip in whenever I want to experience the madness that is Manhattan, but it also lets me hide away in the comfort of the suburbs.

But, wherever I was, I was in New York. So, coming to college in Pennsylvania meant leaving all of that behind, but my New Yorker mentality stayed with me (thank god) and I've been able to see why people can easily guess where I'm from.

1. We walk with a PURPOSE.

I don't think I'll ever understand slow walkers. When I have to get somewhere, I don't see a point in taking my leisurely time to get there. Needless to say, slow walkers are the bane of my existence.

2. We understand boundaries.

Because NO ONE wants to have an awkward conversation full of small talk in the Starbucks line at 8 in the morning. Or at 3 p.m., or at night. New Yorkers let each other stand there in silence, and there's nothing wrong with that.

3. We give society every invention they didn't know they needed (like edible cookie dough).

You're welcome for every amazing food trend that's ever been created, cool pop up museums and architecture that's perfect for every Instagram picture.

4. We know how to keep a party going all night long.

Your bars close at 1 a.m.? Pshhhhhhhhh.

5. We know how to aggressively get what we want, in a good way (like hailing a taxi).

News flash for everyone else: no Taxi driver is going to drive up to the person kind of looking like they need a ride. They're going to give a ride to the person who aggressively risks their life by standing out in the street.

6. We created a city where it's nearly impossible to get lost.

It's a grid, so any person from any country can understand that.

7. We make the best food, no matter what it is.

Pizza. At all hours of the day. On any corner you want.

8. New Yorkers accept you, no matter who you are.

This is partially part because they don't want to talk to/get to know strangers, but New York accepts you for who you are because they've simply seen it all.