13 Things York County Kids Will Miss When They Leave

You'll always miss the place where you grew up

62
wikimedia commons

No matter where you're from, it seems like everyone is always so eager to leave. We grow up always feeling trapped in the place we grew up, and York County kids are no different. Most of us reach the end of high school and just can't wait to leave. A lot of us have dreams bigger than York and most of us aren't afraid to chase them. For those of us who leave, whether temporarily or forever, there will always be a few things about York we'll never be able to find anywhere else.

1. The Mutual Hatred For 30

I don't know a single person who likes driving down 30 at rush hour (or any hour for that matter) and hitting every single red light. The lucky few of us who have managed to fly through every one of those lights on green with no stops will wear the feeling of pride for the rest of our lives.

2. The Smell Of Spring Grove

It genuinely doesn't matter if we're from Spring Grove or not. We've all driven through it once or twice and that indescribable smell will always be a sign that we're home.

3. The Snack Choices

We have so many huge snack corporations right here in our own neighborhood and as we venture further and further from home, a lot of those snack options tend to slowly disappear. We have to savor every fattening chip, pretzel and snack cake we can get.

4. The York Fair

They claim it's America's oldest fair, and if I'm being honest, it's the only fair I've ever been to. From the food to the rides to being lucky enough to watch a cow give birth almost every year, there's something about it no other fair will be able to replicate.

5. Local Ice Cream

I'm not ashamed to admit that I eat at Sarah's or Mack's at least once a week, and no, I don't know what I'm going to do without it when I go back to school.

6. The Top Of York

I know the locals in the neighborhood aren't exactly happy that all the York County kids have turned their cul-de-sac into a lookout, but hey, it's a view we won't be getting anywhere else.

7. Being Close To Everything

We all complain we're in the middle of nowhere, but if we drive within an hour in any given direction, we're bound to run into something pretty awesome. Road trip to Hershey? Gettysburg? Park City? I'm in.

8. Haar's Drive In

There aren't many drive-in movie theaters left these days, and we have a great one right in our back yard.

9. The Farm Country

Believe it or not, you'll probably find yourself missing the middle of nowhere corn field feeling you get around here when you find yourself somewhere bigger. (Even if it's only a tiny bit)

10. First Friday

I've personally never been, but I can't escape all the people talking about the food and fun they find downtown on the first Friday of every month.

11. Cannonball Charlie

There's nothing like a good jump scare to announce another Revs home run.

12. The Food

Whether you're madly in love with Roburrito's or find yourself craving Maple Donuts at three in the morning, we have some incredible food here you won't be finding away at college.

13. Maizequest

I went with my friends every single year to get lost on purpose, and it was always the best part of fall.