Sleeping with a weighted blanket can reduce your stress & anxiety
Health Wellness

The heavy blankets wrap around the body like a warm hug.

4899

Sleep is important for vitality and lack of quality sleep has a big impact on your health. Maybe you are looking for ways to improve your sleep, get rid of insomnia, and relieve anxiety? You may not have thought of sleeping with a weighted blanket. The weighted blankets offer several advantages; they exert pressure on the body, which has physical and psychological benefits similar to massage.

In psychiatric care, weighted blankets are one of our most powerful tools to help people who are anxious, upset and may lose control, weighted blankets may be included occupational therapy in children with sensory disorders or anxiety, stress or other autism-related problems.

The heavy blankets wrap around the body like a warm hug. The pressure relaxes the nervous system with no side effects. Several hospital units, including psychiatric, traumatic, geriatric and pediatric departments, often use weighted blankets help to relieve stress, reduce anxiety and promote deep, restful sleep in patients.

This has an effect similar to that of wrapping an infant and provides comfort and relief in the same way. When pressure is applied gently to the body, it promotes the production of serotonin, a mood siphon. Serotonin converts to melatonin and triggers your body to rest.

Compared with many weighted blanket brands, YNM weighted blanket is very effective in relieving anxiety. According to a 2008 study published in Occupational Therapy at Mental Health, weighted blankets provide a safe and effective therapy for anxiety in patients. A 2012 study published in Australasian Psychiatry confirmed that weighted blankets successfully reduce the visible signs of anxiety.
A heavy blanket can have the same effect on our body as deep pressure therapy so it would not only allow us to get to sleep faster but also free us from anxiety.

A study carried out at the University with 32 people who slept using heavy blankets revealed that 63% of participants reported a decrease in anxiety and 33% showed a decrease in electrodermal activity, an index that reflects the activity of the sympathetic nervous system and that expresses the level of activation of the person.
Another study conducted at the University of Sydney confirmed these results, concluding that heavy blankets are an effective strategy to relieve anxiety and stress even in people suffering from psychiatric disorders.

Use weighted blankets
The weight of the blanket you choose depends on your height and personal preference, but a typical weight for adults is between 15 and 30 pounds in the blanket. It is recommended that you seek medical advice from a doctor or occupational therapist. Avoid using weighted blankets if you are currently suffering from respiratory, circulatory or temperature regulation problems or have recovered after surgery.

Get a blanket
There are many websites and sources to buy a weighted blanket, in many fabrics and weights, or you could even make your own! It all depends on the sizes, materials and your preferences.

YnM Weighted Blanket
These affordable and versatile blankets have been designed to provide comfort, calm and tranquility to those who suffer from anxiety or sleep disorders. The inner layer of the blanket is made of 100% cotton; its compartments are filled with hypoallergenic sand balls, non-toxic and odorless, which provide more delicate and comfortable feeling than plastic ones. The removable cover of the blanket is the perfect choice for protection, these covers are made of organic cotton, ultra-soft Minky fabric, in multiple colors and patterns, it is recommended to purchase covers from the same manufacturer. For further details visit their official website.

ZonLi Weighted Blanket
This is surely the more affordable and surprisingly well-made blanket in the market. Due to its soothing texture, the variety of colors and evenly distributed weight in each of its compartments, it is the blanket you will never want to share. ZonLi Weighted Blankets are available in different sizes and weights. Highly effective for treating insomnia and anxiety, and may be helpful to control ADD, ADHD, and autism. Visit the Zonli website for more information.

Weighted Idea Blanket
With weighted Idea Blanket you will achieve the soothing and restful sleep that you deserve, after a tiring day. You will see how your stress and anxiety diminish and how your level of concentration increases each morning, after the soft, warm and comforting hug of your blanket. It is a complementary natural treatment to alleviate sensory disorders, such as Restless Legs Syndrome, Asperger's Syndrome, Autism, Fibromyalgia, OCD due to the sensory pressure of its weight and premium tissue. Its indulgently plush cover is 100% anti-allergic. Different sizes and weights are available on Amazon with great customer service.

Quility
Most heavy blankets use plastic or polyester to produce the feeling of weight, Quility uses fine glass beads for a smooth, safe and silent weight distribution - an evenly distributed weight that holds its place. While watching TV, movies or spending time with the family, feel extra comfortable and safe inside this weighted blanket that feels like a hug. Luxuriously, the soft and silky cover gives the feeling of best hug that you have experienced. Visit quilityblankets.com