Yes, I Want To Be A Teacher

Yes, I Want To Be A Teacher

I want to foster an imagination in kids that will flow like the wind, shine like the sun, and become bigger than the waves of the sea.

23
Yes, I Want To Be A Teacher
Max Pixel

From middle school through my sophomore year in high school, my dream job was to be a doctor; a surgeon to be exact. I took health technologies, medical terminology classes, and began studying for the challenging education road I had ahead of me. I told all of my family members my plan, but of course nothing in life ever goes the way we intend. Never in a million years would I have thought I wanted to even consider working with children. It's not that I didn't like children or enjoy being around them, it was the fear I had of being responsible for their overall development that concerned me. It was stepping out of my introverted box that I created for myself, willing myself to be involved in these kids' lives. Being heavily involved in my church youth group, I had numerous opportunities to be present with students. I have gone on several service trips, lead young students in my church's local Vacation Bible School, and had a summer babysitting job. I love kids. When I explained to my family and friends my change in career choice some became doubtful. "Why education?" "Don't you want to make money?" "You're choosing the easy route compared to medical school." I heard all of those responses and grew disheartened by the negativity and reputation teachers are receiving.

In 2015 I went on a mission trip near my hometown and served in the community. Our students served a church in the downtown area and helped with their Vacation Bible School. The moment I was sitting with elementary aged students during their bible lesson, I knew that this was where I needed to be. Every single kid sat giddy with excitement, glowing smiles on their faces, and an eagerness to learn. Each had their own personality and their own response. The fire for my desire to be an educator came with butterflies in my stomach. To see a child using his or her imagination gives me hope for the upcoming generations. Nowadays, it's all about the technology, the money, the materials. We live in a materialistic era. We live in a world that is online, not off. Where children receive everything they want simply because they can. My goal being a teacher is to show kids that a world that doesn't revolve around video game downloads and cell phone updates is a world worth pursuing.

Teachers do more than teach. They are placed in a situation where they impact the lives of the younger generations. It isn't about going through a 45-minute lecture, it isn't about making sure all of your students get 100 percent on all tests and quizzes, it's about teaching your students the value of education. The problem with younger generations is they believe they can reach ultimate knowledge. As someone in a position of mentorship, it is my job to assure students the reality of their efforts. You receive as much effort as you put forth. It isn't easy being a student, and it certainly isn't easy being an educator. Though I'm not quite there yet, I am looking forward to the opportunity to pour into kids' lives on a daily basis.

I want to remind the education world that teaching is a passion...not a paycheck. If we all went into careers with the largest pay rate, we would be miserable. If everyone denied education a chance simply because they don't get paid enough, we wouldn't have teachers to teach the children who wish to become the next President of the United States, or lawyers, or even teachers themselves. Teachers can make a lasting impact in the future by inspiring children and fostering their intelligence and individual traits.

The first day of my senior year was the final sign I needed to begin my journey to being an educator. I decided to take a College Composition class through my high school and never thought it would make as big of a difference in my life as it has. First of all, the dynamic of the teacher matters. Students can tell when a teacher doesn't want to be in class. It's the poor attitude, the ignorant remarks, and lack of enthusiasm that discourages kids from wanting to learn. My current English teacher makes it very clear to her students that despite the chaos of state standards and discombobulation within the district, she wants to be with the kids. Every day she stands outside of her door and greets each student with the question "why are we here?" and our response must be "to learn." At first, I thought this was strange. I had never seen a teacher do anything of the sorts. But as the semester progressed, I could see her love for students radiate. Her goal is for us to learn, not for us to get straight A's. She wants to help us in every aspect of our lives, not just the academic side. She is the type of teacher I will strive to be like.

I have dedicated my senior year to two things: Learning as much as I can before I go out into the real world, and investing my time with those younger than me, encouraging them in their efforts to get to high school or even graduate high school. I want to encourage those who feel as if they don't have a voice, those who were knocked down time after time and have no hope left, those who have given up because no one bothered to help them out. I want to foster an imagination in kids that will flow like the wind, shine like the sun, and become bigger than the waves of the sea. Being an educator is not going to be easy; whoever says likewise has clearly never sat in a classroom.