Yes, I Am Scared Of The Future

Yes, I Am Scared Of The Future

The road ahead of me is unknown and uncertain

46
Yes, I Am Scared Of The Future
Nico Trinkhaus

I'm 19 years old. It's an age that can taste adulthood, but hasn't quite left childhood. I'm legally an adult but I don't know the first thing about paying bills, going out to bars and having a job that lasts longer than the summer. I am independent when I'm away at college, but as soon as I come home I'm still treated like a little kid all over again. All I know for sure is that I'm growing up quickly, and although the future is exciting and promising, it is also terrifying.

The first thing on my list of fears is moving away from home for good. I love living on campus in the heart of Boston, but it's nice to know in the back of my mind that holiday breaks and summer vacations I can return to the house I grew up in. Soon, I will be moving permanently. My visits to my parents, high school friends and favorite restaurants will be cut shorter. Although I have always dreamed of living on my own, it is going to be difficult saying goodbye to the last remaining piece of my childhood.

Once I finally sign the lease to my first apartment, every month I'm going to be scared of paying the bills. I already know that after I graduate I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in student loan debt, along with paying for rent, transportation and groceries. Plus, since I decided I wanted to become a reporter rather than a doctor or lawyer, I won't be making any sort of six figure salary.

Oh, and speaking of my future career, I must add that I am worried about finding a job in my field. I currently major in print/online journalism. Although I consider myself to be a good reporter, the industry itself is changing drastically. The Internet is becoming the first place where people turn to for breaking news, not print newspapers or television stations. The way the news is collected and reported is no longer stagnant. I just have to roll with the punches and see how living in this digital age affects working in the media.

I know that I'm still very young, and this fear may seem a little (or extremely) irrational, but I am scared of ending up alone. I've learned the hard way that relationships are tricky business. I am sick of falling for guys that don't feel the same way, don't treat me nicely or don't give me the time of day. However, there are plenty of times where I look around at couples on the street or in movies, who are head over heels in love, and I realize that that is all I want. Love is one of the strongest, unifying forces in the world, and right now I'm not a part of it. Of course I'm loved by my friends and family, but love in a relationship is different. I just hope one day I find someone that's there by my side forever.

There are days where I'm scared of being alone and there are days where I simply fear that I'm not doing enough with the time I have. I believe that every second should be spent living in the moment, not wasting a second. Since I won't be on this planet forever, I hope that I'm doing all I can to soak up every adventure and opportunity. I try to travel and do new things as often as possible, but sometimes I feel like there's not enough time in the day. I want to be carefree, but work, school assignments and other responsibilities often get in the way of that.

The moral of the story is that the future is always uncertain. You can't tell what is going to happen tomorrow, so you have to make the most of whatever you are given today. The unknown is frightening and you will have to conquer fears along the way, but as long as you push past them, it will all be okay.