Yes, I Do Love Being In A Sorority

Yes, I Do Love Being In A Sorority

And no it's not for the parties.

202
Yes, I Do Love Being In A Sorority
Becca Steele

"You're in a sorority?" Yes, and I love it.

I think we all know that if there's one thing people love to mock about college is greek life specifically sororities. We see all these false images spread around in songs, movies, and hell even on Instagram about the "srat" life.

I am here to say that being in a sorority is not limited to only being concerned with your looks, boys, partying, and your little. In fact, I have found at least within my own sorority experience that there is much more to it.

Starting with the rush experience, which is an incredibly intimidating experience at least if you have any ounce of introversion in you.

For me it was a pinnacle moment in my college career: I was either going to learn to break out of my shell or remain the shy girl I used to be.

Let me tell you this, having to speak to hundreds of strangers (specifically girls-yikes) is quite intimidating but it gave me the budge I needed to feel brave enough to make new friends.

I figured if I could talk to all of these strangers then I could probably talk to the person sitting next to me because odds were they were both going to be nice and if it didn't work out I'd still be okay.

Also, it reminded me how important first impressions truly are. I mean the idea of rush sounds shallow but in the end, I think we all look at people first glance and wonder if we'd clique together, and once we get to know them it could be a hit or a miss.

You could have a new friend or just someone to smile at and keep walking. Either way, what do you have to lose.

Once you become a new member you are shown an entirely new world, and you can choose to adopt it as your own or to leave it.

For my sorority and I would dare to say any sorority that exists, you learn that at some point a woman or group of women decided that they needed to be a baddie and bring together more "bad" women like themselves to create one big group or sisterhood of awesome women. To support each other and support women alike.

Which is one thing I think we need to remind ourselves, we made a new group to find sisters like us but that doesn't make us better than others it just makes our group unique just like the rest of em.

You get a whole new group of sisters. The unique thing I think about calling these friends your sisters is that you have a bond through your sorority that brings you all together and you may not like your sisters all the time but do you ever actually like your real siblings all the time?

No, you fight and say things you don't mean but at the end of the day, you know that you have their back and they have yours.

Then you become a seasoned member after a year of learning the ropes: learning the songs, the secrets, finding your best friends among your sisters and rocking the letters (which will always be my favorite.)

Once you've become accustomed to the srat life you have the opportunity to take on new roles like leadership opportunities such as being on your executive board or being a committee head. There are so many opportunities within your sorority alone to be a leader but you always have to remember "with great power comes great responsibility".

For me, it was doing a small form of leadership by co-chairing as a committee head for the public relations committee and I really enjoyed that responsibility because I was contributing back to my organization.

I have also had friends rise up to the challenge to serve on the leaderboard and see them blossom into amazing leaders which is why we join organizations. We join them to develop and grow, to learn more and challenge ourselves.

At the end of the day, people are going to mock and poke fun at what they don't understand. Of course, there are always people that give reasons to mock and poke fun but you can't judge the group for the actions of one.

So if you asked me "do you love your sorority?" I could only answer yes, while there have been ups and downs it has been an amazing three years. I look on to my final year as it will be one for the books.

I can't believe the time has already flown so quickly but I will have these memories forever because of once a sister, always a sister.