Yes, I'm Majoring In Creative Writing, And Yes I Will Have A Job When I Graduate

A college degree is a college degree.

18
group of fresh graduates students throwing their academic hat in the air

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me what my "backup plan" is if creative writing doesn't work out, I would be rich enough to not need a job. People love to hate on the humanities---when really they don't understand what skills come out of a humanities degree. STEM majors often have very straight forward paths---getting an engineering degree to become an engineer, studying biology and applying to medical school, etc. While many people in non-STEM majors also follow straight-forward paths, many of us like not being constrained to a narrow future.

My degree has sharpened my critical thinking skills, my ability to communicate both orally and in writing, and has made me a better people-person. Sure, a STEM major can do quantum physics, but can they churn out a hundred pages of polished writing in a week? Organizations need people who understand people. Innovation and science are wonderful things---but these advances in society do nothing if there is no one to form a bridge between the scientists and everyday people. Skills taught in the humanities are valuable to employers and need to stop being dissed by uptight parents who are uncomfortable with the idea of their child not having a straight-forward career path.

With my degree in creative writing, I am prepared for careers in marketing, sales, public relations, law, entertainment, business, and even research. There is no point in attending college if you're going to pay thousands of dollars to study something you hate because society told you it was "a responsible route." Truth is, no one is guaranteed a job. Even the smartest engineer might get rejected from their ideal companies.

It is very clear to employers who is passionate about what they do. Someone who is simply in it for the money is not going to make a good long-term employee. A person who is passionate about their subject will continue to work hard, even in challenging circumstances---or when little pay is available. We all know those dreaded unpaid internships often lead to the best paid jobs.

Plus, a bachelors degree is not the defining point of my life. If I choose, I can go to grad school. I have even known a creative writing major who went to medical school after her bachelors.

The humanities are essential to our society. Every business needs people who are strong writers, creative thinkers, and aren't confined by numbers and easy to follow paths. A college degree is a college degree. If you're going to diss on my degree, then don't complain about the "long" four page paper you had to write for your English general education requirement. Hard work and knowledge goes into every degree. Moreover, college is what you make of it. If you put in the effort and bring the same dedication to your job hunt, you will find employment.