Yes, I Am A Bitch, And I'm OK With That

Yes, I Am A Bitch, And I'm OK With That

You can call me whatever you want, just know that this bitch is going places.
89

I don’t know if it’s because I recently moved below the Mason-Dixon Line and my New England sarcasm doesn’t translate well, the current change in political climate or what, but I have been called a bitch more than anything else in 2017.

As with most things, I try to find the positive side, so I’ve decided that the haters are right.

I am a bitch.

But you know what? I’m okay with that, and you should be too. So, here is how I am deciding to change the meaning of being a bitch.

Beauty

Being a boss bitch is about self-confidence, which means loving oneself inside and out. No one loves how they look all the time, but bitches have the confidence to rock what they’ve got, even after feasting shamelessly on a 20-piece chicken nugget meal and a self-tanning disaster. If you want to slay like Beyoncé, you have to own it because when you know you’re a goddess other people see it too.

Intelligence

Perhaps Lisa Kleypas said it best: “A well-read woman is a dangerous creature.” Dangerous because women have been limited culturally for thousands of years and now they are finally being acknowledged as inventors and scientists, as athletes, journalists, heads of state, supreme court justices and activists. Dangerous because we serve the greatest threat to patriarchal traditions. As a boss bitch your only limit is you, glass ceiling or no glass ceiling, and it always benefits you to be smarter than the next guy.

Tenacity

Albert Einstein, the Nobel Prize winning physicist and one of the most brilliant minds of the 20th century, was unable to speak fluently until he was nine-years-old. Michael Jordan, the man who could never seem to retire and was responsible for 6,672 rebounds, 5,633 assists and 32,292 total points, was once quoted, “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Being a bitch is about never giving up. It’s about acknowledging shortcomings, learning from mistakes and relentlessly working towards success.

Courage

Take it from George Addair who was quoted as saying, “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear”. Being a boss bitch means taking chances and not letting fear influence decisions.

Humility

Knowing your worth is different than elevating yourself above others. Being beautiful, intelligent, tenacious and courageous has no meaning unless it is balanced by humility. Bitches have to be self-deprecating because there is always room for personal growth and there is no greater hindrance to success than hubris, just ask any protagonist in a Greek parable.

We have to stop attacking the Hillary Clintons of the world based on their demeanor when in the race of grumpiest politician I think we can all agree that she has some pretty impressive male competitors.