Yes, I'm A Christian, But I'm Not A Hypocrite

"Don't let the title confuse you, I am in no way possible a perfect person or a perfect Christian"

58

What is Hypocrisy?

Hypocrisy is "claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform

Hypocrisy is more widely known as "teaching one thing, but doing the opposite". An example would be a dentist telling his/her patient to not eat candy, and then going home to enjoy sweets themselves.

What is classified as being a Christian?

Growing up, I've always been taught that being a Christian means to be "Christ Like", but since the Bible is the authority of my faith, we will see what it says about the word "Christian" which is only used 3 times in the New Testament.

-Acts 11:26 KJV-And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

-Acts 26:28 KJV- Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

-1 Peter 4:16 KJV- Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

They were called "Christians" because their actions and behavior were "Christ-like"

Matthew 23 shows us how Jesus combated hypocrisy in Christians

- Matthew 23:1-5 KJV- Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments.

Here are a few key factors about being a Christian:

-Many people who claim to be Christian don't have a personal relationship with Jesus.

-Although as Christians we are called to grow in our faith and be more like Christ, this doesn't happen instantly.

-A Christian is called to live a life of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Now that I've shown you facts, I'm going to talk a little bit about me for a second. Don't let the title confuse you, I am in no way possible a perfect person or a perfect Christian. In my walk with Jesus, I try my hardest to help others and be there just to listen and give advice to my friends, but I slip up sometimes and I make mistakes.

I feel like a true hypocrite knows exactly when they are saying "Hey! Don't do that!" and then turning around and doing it themselves. I believe a true Christian and follower of Jesus will recognize that point of action and ask for forgiveness from God while also asking for help that it doesn't happen again.

In conclusion, while researching for others' opinions on this topic, I was shown this quote by Mark Mittelberg "The primary issue regarding the validity of Christianity is not Jesus' followers but Jesus himself—and what he offers to those who follow him. Ultimately we need to encourage our friends to put their faith, not in Christianity—and certainly not in the flawed efforts of frail Christians—but in the powerful and proven person of Jesus Christ himself."