'Reckless Love' Reminds Us That God Always Offers Unconditional Love
Religion

'Reckless Love' Reminds Us That God Always Offers Unconditional Love

We can't earn the love of God, and because of God's grace, we don't have to.

291
Mount Everest

Reckless love. What a concept. The idea that someone could love you no matter what is something that I think a lot of people strive for. Most people try to find this in a boyfriend, girlfriend, family, or friends. But the truth is that pure unconditional love can only come from God. God loves us in spite of all our flaws and failures. We can't earn the love of God, and because of God's grace, we don't have to. To put it in my own words, reckless love means that no matter what we've done there's nothing God won't do to bring us back into his presence.

Matthew 18:12-14 says,

"If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them wanders away, what will he do? Won't he leave the ninety-nine others on the hills and go out to search for the one that is lost? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth. He will rejoice over it more than over the ninety-nine that didn't wander away! In the same way, it is not my heavenly Father's will that even one of these little ones should perish."

In this story, the shepherd leaves the 99 sheep and goes in search of the one that wandered off. The shepherd is God, and we are the sheep that have wandered away from the flock.

If you've lost your way and made some bad decisions or you feel distant from God, there's nothing he won't do to find you no matter how far you've gone. I've been there before. I've nearly walked away from God because everything in my life was going wrong and I thought there wasn't anything I could do. God "left the ninety-nine" and went after me even when I didn't want to be found. His love never gives up on us. It's overwhelming and never-ending. It's the reckless love of God.