The Art Of Deceit

The Art Of Deceit

A prose poem.

13
The Art Of Deceit
Tentree.com

I don’t go to the movies much anymore.

Once the popcorn maker went up in flames, totally ruining the experience. The smell of burnt popcorn never really goes away. It clings like static; permeating your skin, clothes, hair. You can wash your hands, spray perfume, but it’s still there, lurking under the disguise. It’s as if you’re forever walking around with burnt kernels placed in your hair, base of your neck, under your fingernails; everything you touch will also be consumed.

Eventually people will start to ask you do you smell popcorn? because they know. No matter how much you try to conceal it, it’s still there, and eventually the stench will bubble around you. Consuming an alarming distance, more and more people will smell it and they’ll realize what’s under your skin.

Hiding it will only make matters worse. The only way to remedy the situation is to admit your popcorn fixation and maybe go to the movies less.